First time having Word Wall!!! Need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by I want to TEACH, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Attention 1st and 2nd grade teachers!!! Please tell me how you use your word wall! Thanks so much!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

Do you put it all up at once? Do you take some words down? Do you use the high frequency words only? Do you add in extra spelling words? What happens when you have a spelling test?

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I want to hear what people do because I had one this year and it didn't work out. :) Every spelling list the children got five word wall words to spell and I would put them up on the wall. That is all I did. :) What do you do with the words? I bought the word wall book but how to implement those ideas? When do you do it? How long do you spend on the word wall?

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 29, 2007

I put up 5 words a week. Once a week we write, box, and cheer our words. The rest of the week we cheer our words and do other activities with them. I leave the words up all year. I only use sight words, and well also some pattern words. I use the Four Blocks word wall kit. My spelling list contains pattern words and word wall words. Last year I didn't put the new words up on the word wall until after the test. If they used the word wall for their sentence or other words it would be fine. They are using it as a resource, which is a standard!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 29, 2007

I also do minilessons during writing workshop on how to use the word wall. We use the word wall to help us spell new words. MODEL MODEL MODEL how you want your kids to use it.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2007

I use my word wall for sight words only....each week we have a new list...they are introdouced in context, we clap them, cheer them etc... I have a word wall center 1x a week and the words are placed on the wall.
    The words stay up all year and the children do reference it when writing......

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2007

When I taught kinder, we had a word wall that stayed up all year. I added one or two words a week. Everyday we did some sort of movement as we spelled each word. I also modled during workshop on how to use those words in their writing.

When I introduced the words, I would hang the word up on the board and as the kiddos came in in the morning, they would look and try to figure out what the word was. later, as we settled down for our morning meeting, I would tell them the word, praise those who were able to read it, and we would spell and say the word together.

9. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I use my word wall for spelling words, vocabulary and High frequency words. Then during literacy centers the children constantly have to refer to the wall to complete the center activities. For example I may have a two person voc. game. One person would choose any word from the word wall and the other person would have to define, spell or use it in a sentence depending on the card they draw. I also have all students check the wall for words they need to spell.

10. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and I use my word wall everyday. I hang five new words each week. We spotlight the words on Monday and the other days we do some sort of an activity like Find all Nouns, Snap/clap (consonant/vowels), I'm thinking of a word, etc. I have a whole list of these type activities. We spend maybe 5-10 minutes on it each day. It is not easy to do in the beginning of the year due to the lack of words on it. I also model using the word wall to help me find/spell a word during writing. If you do not do this then it is just a bunch of words on the wall.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

Are these in addition to weekly spelling words?

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 29, 2007

I use a portion of my chalkboard for my word wall... the words a bit smaller to fit them all (yes mine stay up all year) BUT - each one has a bit of magnetic tape on the back and the kids can come up and take the words to their seat - it's an interactive word wall - the kids use it much more, and I can SEE them using it. :D

13. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I use my Word Wall words much the same as the other posters. I hang them with magnets on the board for the week, take them down the day of the test, and then move them to the word wall after. When they're writing and they edit with me, if I see a word wall word misspelled, I will write "WW" above it and they know to resource there.
    We use 3-5 word wall words per week, yes, in addition to spelling words, but the spelling words don't go on the wall or get cheered, etc.
    Some days we play Word Wall Bingo, "Mind Reader" (this is my favorite... Papers are numbered 1-5. I give clue #1 "It's on the word wall" and they write any word down. Then I give clue #2 (it's a noun, it has 4 letters, it has 2 vowels, etc.) and they can change their guess or re-write the same word if it's still applicable. The same goes for clues 3, 4 and 5. Then I reveal the word and have everyone who guessed it for clue 5 raise their hand. "Is there anyone who guessed this word on clue 4?" etc. to find the "mind reader".

14. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2007

I do alot with my word wall. Here is a link of different kinds of Word Wall Cheers!!! My kids love doing Cheerleading Words, Dance Fever Cheer, etc.

http://www.k111.k12.il.us/lafayette/fourblocks/word_wall_chants.htm

We also do "Write, Say, Cover, Spell, Check" activity to the words on dry erase boards which is lots of fun.
    We do "Secret Word" similar to how other posters do it.
    We also write the word wall words on index cards to keep in a ziploc bag we call our Personal Word Libraries. We do 5 a week.