First time ever with an unknown sub...SCARED!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 28, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 28, 2010

I had to take sick leave today, because I woke up sick at 4 in the morning. I had to enter the sub assignment into the online system my district uses, and someone picked it up right away, but I don't know who she is. My school has a preferred sub list, so I always choose my sub, but this was the first time I had an unplanned absence.

I'm so nervous to go in tomorrow! :unsure: I just think it's so hard to sub for kindergarten in the first month of school, because even the kids don't know what's going on yet. I changed my plans and added tons of detail and emailed them to my team to give to the sub. I just hope everything went well, and I hope the sub was experienced with kindergarten.

When you have a sub in your classroom, do you usually know the sub, or do you choose him/her?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 28, 2010

Unless it is an emergency, we call our own subs from a list. I have only had one sub so far this year for a professional day. He is a vetern of the gulf war so I figured he could handle my students. At rhe end of the day, he said that subbing in K was a different kind of scary! LOL

I hope all went well in your classroom and that you're feeling better.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 28, 2010

We don't have an online system, it would be nice if we did. The office calls for subs. If it is a planned absence we can request a sub. Hope you feel better today.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 28, 2010

We used to always know because the school had about 4-5 really good subs that the office staff would call. It was so nice because they knew the kids and the kids knew them.

Now, we are with a computer system like you described and its really up for grabs. The subbing is pretty bad. In my area, if you have a college degree in ANYTHING and are willing to take a 3 hour course through our IU, you can instantly be a substitute teacher! Its ridiculous. Kindergarten really suffers because alot of people that know nothing about education will sign up for kindergarten becasue they think it will be cute and will be an easy day! They rarely come back twice. One of my fellow K teachers was off last week. Her sub needed to use the bathroom so she left the kids alone while she went down the hall. Another teacher saw her and asked her where the kids were. She said that she told them to color while she was gone and then said "Thats OK right?"

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 28, 2010

Um... at least your subs have college degrees! Ours only have to have something like 60 college hours. What we get can sometimes be super scary, but I should be happy that my class has never been left alone like with that K sub! I can't believe the common sense of some people.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 28, 2010

That's so scary!

Thankfully, my district is really strict about approving subs. I know someone who has a degree in elementary ed, and she can't find a job so she has been subbing. She applied to be a sub in my district and they denied her. No clue why!

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 29, 2010

Yikes, I guess it was chaos. The SPED aides in my room told the office to never let this lady sub at our school. I guess she was not the elementary type. She sat behind the desk all day. :(

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2010

I've subbed in a 3rd grade class twice (for a personal friend). I made it through both days because she left good plans with all materials laid out and the assistant was there part time to help (she splits her time between two classrooms).

I would NEVER accept a K assignment because I know I would be in way over my head. I have NO IDEA what these tykes need to accomplish or how to help them do it and I have the utmost respect for those who work with them every day.

Actually, I have the utmost respect for ALL teachers who work closely with their kids every day.

I've tried the elementary level (actually did 4th grade once last year, forgot about that), but I'll stick with middle and high school because I am much better at that level and I know we have plenty of subs that would be much better for the elementary kids than I.