First thing in the AM ..

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

First year teacher! :love: On the very first day when the students walk in the room, what should be going on? Should there be activities out to keep them occupied while other students are coming in? No one will know routines yet or where to sit - and I am trying to write out a first-day schedule. Please Help :help:

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

(again I am preschool) but even when my kids were in kinder, the teacher had fine motor activites out (Puzzles, math manipulatives, etc). Even in my own classroom I like to have those out (I teach 3 and 4 year olds) because it helps with seperation issues, and it gives them a task immediately!

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

YES! Just as Mrs. Sheila said, I put out some simple items (Patten blocks, puzzles, crayons, paper, etc.) on each table for them to use as I help each child who arrives. Good luck! :)

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kindergarten! :)

It doesn't matter than they don't have a routine yet-you definitely want something to occupy them while you talk to parents and deal with supplies, etc. I usually just put manipulatives out on the tables-blocks or magnet letters that they can just play with. I've also seen people just cover the tables with butcher paper and let them color as they come in-then you don't even have to worry about who sits where and can deal with that when things calm down a bit.

6. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Check out www.pre-kpages.com - New Teacher bootcamp - it will pretty much be the same for Kindergarten. Invest in Harry Wong's The First Days of School and write out your procedures. It helps later... really! Come up with some transition songs. I use a lot of Dr. Jean and Greg & Steve songs on the CD player to transistion. It's easier to turn on the music than to yell at 5 year olds over the organized chaos... lol

On the first day.. the main thing is... Find out how they will be going home!!! Most of them won't know. If they ride a bus, which one? If someone is going to pick them up, who? If a parent didn't come to "meet the teacher", have them fill out an emergency contact sheet. Also, put Sharpies in your pocket... You can write names on nametags & sacks of supplies to sort later if you need to.

When I taught Pre-K (this year I'm looping), I copied a beach ball and asked them to color it, cut it out, and write their name on the back (gives a quick assessment on crayon & scissor skills). Then I date stamped it,and kept it, (sometimes in a baggie). Then the last week of school, I had them do the same thing to compare. (This year I'm doing Chicka Chicka... and they are going to color & cut a palm tree and write their name, second day - write abc's & 123's. Then we'll do it again at the end of K.)

When they are finished, they can "read" all the board books on the display shelf or draw pictures on plain paper. I use cheap $1 tableclothes to cover EVERYTHING - every bookshelf (or turn them around backwards)! If they can see it, it will be out and in a jumble, and if not them.... their younger siblings will...

You'll do great.... you're already on the right track... reading AtoZ...

Good Luck!! :)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

Yes I cover table with butcher paper. I also have blank paper and coloring pages out with crayons. I tried playdo one year and they had trouble getting the lids off. Then I had a special one that literally had it on every square inch of his body (in his ears, hair, etc.) I vowed never to do playdo on the first day again - not until I can teach about it (I know you wouldn't think you need to, but....)

I personally don't like to give them alot of manipulatives until I've had time to lay down expectations and such - just a personal thing. Plus they love to color.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I will never forget asking a child which bus. He told me the yellow bus!:D:D:D

9. rperry

rperry Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

My students do the same thing pretty much every morning. They come in, take off coats and hang up backpacks, turn in their message folder, and graph in. I have a big pocketchart with questions, and then students find their name (written on nametags) and graph in. The questions change daily and have lots of pictures to help them! Then they go to their table. In the beginning of the year I have manipulatives on the table for them to play with, but as the year goes on, sometimes I would throw in a worksheet or name writing practice here and there. Good luck!!!

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

On the first day I have assigned spots, which the students have found the day before at Open House, so they know where to go. I place a coloring sheet AND a manipulative tub on each table. Then they have a few simple choices. Many kids will just sit there and look around the room still.

I let them come right in the room with their backpacks, or hang them up in the hallway. After everyone is in the classroom and everything has calmed down, I bring them into the hallway to show them how to hang up their backpacks, how to check for a cold lunch, and where to put their cold lunch. Then they all take turns moving their names to the correct place for lunch count. This will all take about 30 minutes, so keep a big time slot open.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I like Pigeon's idea of having them come in with the bags. I am usually individually directing the kids as they come in where to put bags, lunches, and everything else. Maybe I could just let them come in with everything and have that "What to do when I come in" lesson as one of the first things we do.

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

I found some black butcher paper at school and I am going to cover the tables with it and let them draw with chalk. I will square off sections for each student and then hang it up for all to see at the end of the day. I also provide some wooden blocks and a few sturdy books for the more introverted children, so they are not too overwhelmed all at once. Once everyone has arrived and we are settled, I am going to do a first day unit on where everything is, i.e. bathroom, water, office. And we will begin our classroom rule development and discussion. We end the day with self portraits that I will use throughout the first week in our "getting to know each other" activities.

13. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

My kids all come in at the same time. We have recess before school starts. When the bell rings, they all line up and when we are lined up outside my door I instruct them to go right to the rug, to not hang up their bookbags, but just go right to the rug. I have them all sit down. Then I instruct them, step-by-step on how to open their bags. I tell them what to take out (their yellow folder (that I sent home the night before at open house), extra clothes, glue sticks, tissues. All the things that I asked them to bring. Then, at that time, I have them zip their bags, and show them were to hang them up. I like that we all come in together because I can keep them all under control and really start working on routines and expectations from the first minute.

14. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

I like that you can do that Lindzee.

My morning will be slightly different. I was told that they come in do their morning routine, go do a quick work cycle. Then once the announcement come on we clean and go have breakfast from 8-830.

But for the 1st few days I believe I will do the butcher paper, few manipulative idea.... since I won't have much out. And around 740 hopefully if everyone is there and settled we can begin to go over class routines and talk about walking in the hallway to the cafeteria.

I'm excited because for the first couple of weeks I will only have Kindergarten and prek comes later.

15. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I have a basket of crayons for each table and coloring pages. That tends to keep them busy while I speak with parents.

16. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I love the butcher paper/crayons idea--I'll be doing that this year! I normally have students choose a chair and hang their backpacks on the back of the chair or place it on the floor beside their chair. I make it very clear that they are NOT to open the backpacks yet. Then, right after announcements, I show students how to "check in" for lunch count so I can turn it into the office. Then we read a story and do a little "get to know your teacher" activity. After that we unpack backpacks, one item at a time. After this, it's normally almost time for lunch already...!