First Teaching Job

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lottalatte, Jun 20, 2015.

1. lottalatte

lottalatte Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

Hi, all! I've been mostly a lurker, but wanted to reach out to all you wonderful people!

I'm really excited! I just got my first teaching job! I will be teaching 3-5 SDC. I started off wanting to be a high school English teacher, then a high school SDC teacher, and finally an SDC elementary teacher. All of my student teaching experiences have been at the high school level, so elementary is a little new to me.

I'm looking for ideas for the first day and first week of school. School doesn't start for awhile, so I don't have access to student records or IEPs yet. I'm just wondering how teachers plan their first days. I plan to dedicate a lot of time to establishing procedures, ice breakers, story time, and arts and crafts. Does anyone have a day one schedule they could share with me? Also, what are some of the your favorite resources related to elementary school teaching and special education?

Thanks in advance! :hugs:

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

Your first days, prepare your own RIP at a glance, parent contact logs, how you will document your day to day with students, and prepare a list of REED and. MET dates, know when you're IEPS are due, when your three year reveals are due and set up your planner with those dates laid out so invites go out in time and paperwork isn't last minute.

If you are a combination self contained and inclusive room....Then plan your schedule based on service hours and areas of need...which mean you find out from the teachers when the reading and math blocks are.

Then you go over the pysc reports and determine who may need pull out time in addition to push in time and add that to your schedule.

If your self contained, use that information to determine who needs one on one time and plan that into your daily schedule. Plan your reading blocks and math blocks in such a way as to hit individual grade level goals while the other grades get seat work.

THEN.....set up your class procedures, prepare posters etc and SPELL it all out. Create or adapt your point sheets and the years for those being signed, filed out etc (determine if you want self assessment or if you want to fill them out) plan a filing system for them...keep copies!!!!!! Set up rules for time out room if you have one, and a procedure for documenting everything having to do with that room.

And forms you create use lots of check boxes, you won't have time to hand write in long notes, you just won't.

THEN....you are finally ready for the first day. Teach procedures almost exclusively the first week. Use your reading, math and other time to go over the whys of your rules, to write them, talk about them, practice them. Reinforce heavily for first month.

4. lottalatte

lottalatte Rookie

Jun 21, 2015

Thank you so much for all of the information! I'm in a self-contained setting. I love your idea about creating point sheets. :thanks:

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2015

The point sheets can be found at intervention central if you want an easy starting point