First Teaching Job!!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by luckypanda, Jul 11, 2010.

1. luckypanda

luckypanda Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

I just got my first teaching job as a 4 year old Preschool teacher! I'm super excited. :woot: It is a full day program for five days a week! If there is anyone who would be willing to share some helpful advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it!

3. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

Congrats!!!

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

congrats, go to the Job Seekers forum so your name can be added to the list.

5. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I didn't know they hired 4 year old teachers! :)

Just kidding.. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

:lol: ~ THAT made me smile this morning!

Congrats on your new job! Our preschool program just went from 4 days to 5, with full time hours ~ so I am stoked about a bit of extra income!:woot:

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Lucky, what kind of advice are you seeking? Curriculum, art, circle time?

If I were just starting in a new classroom, I would first develop my daily schedule. That might be a good start for you. Start with the basics:

Arrival
    Lunch
    Departure

And add the blocks you will want in the classroom. What academics are you teaching? And how are you implementing the curriculum--via interest centers, hands on, or teacher directed?

8. luckypanda

luckypanda Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

Oh, just any helpful advice for a 1st year teacher, and or ideas to use in the classroom! Thanks Blue! :)

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

1. consistancy
    2. if it works don't fix it.
    3. If it doesn't work, change it
    4. Be able to laugh at yourself
    5. Be able to have the kids laugh at you
    6. make a fool out of yourself at least once a day--

Seriously: give yourself and the children the first week to get a feel for each other. Be firm or they'll walk all over you. Use the first week to do cutting and tracing to see what they can and can't do.

I teach 4 year olds/pre-k in a full time program. We do a letter a week as well as a theme. On Mon and Friday we do projects that reinforce the letter and Tues and Thurs we do projects that reinforce the theme. Wed we concentrate on math/science. The days we do letter projects we do name writing and the days we do theme projects we do letter writing. That way they get exposure to the letters every day without becoming bored with it. I start off the year with fairly simple projects and when I'm comfortable with what they can do,I take it up a step. by the end of the year they are able to complete a complex (at least 3steps) project on their own with minimal repeating of directions.
    To help control flow of the room and overcrowding of centers that leads to fighting,I have a play time chart that has circles with the kids names on them that have velcro on the back. Each center has a sign with a number and coinciding amount of vlecro spots. They have to take their name and put it on the sign for the area they are going to play in. If there are no more velcro spots they know the area is full and need to choose something else. I have no assistant so by state regs can only have 12 kids max. I have 21 velcro spots throughout the centers so they always have choices.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2010

Congrats, and welcome to preschool!

How many kids will you have? Will you have an assistant or a co-teacher? That's important to know... and then to plan how you will use that person if you have one. The first year I taught preschool, I had 2 TAs that were old enough to be my mother, and I had a really difficult time being assertive enough to show that I was in charge- I inadvertently ended up letting them walk all over me, and it made my year MISERABLE.

So... does your aide have her own work station, or can she share your desk? How will she know what you need her to do? What are the things you want to do yourself vs the things you can delegate to her? What does she like/hate to do... sometimes that helps to know, even though you don't know until you meet her.

I assume that you'll be doing centers of some sort... how will you run them? Can kids choose where they want to go, or are you telling them? What if you're working with an individual child or a small group? What are the other kids doing? is snack something you serve as a group, or a cohice they'll have? Can you go outside when you want, or is it a dictated time?

Think about room arangement, if you have choice in that.... noisy centers like blocks aften aren't real good next to quiet centers like the library, Art and science are generally better near a sink, although it isn't always possible...

Just things to think about :)

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

Congratulations on your new job and :welcome:! Here is a link to my page for new teachers with lots of advice for new pre-k/kinder teachers. I also have our daily schedules posted there- both full-day and half-day. Let us know if you have any specific questions, this is a wonderful forum full of helpful people :)

12. luckypanda

luckypanda Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Thank you everyone for such helpful advice! As the days draw closer to the first day of school, I am becoming more and more excited! I'm so glad that this teaching forum exists!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2010

Congratulations!