First School Memory

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jun 12, 2013.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2013

Now I feel old. I'm 42. Computers were still room-sized back when I was in kinder.

But I do remember telling my mom that I wish we had "televisions" at our desk to talk through to our friends when we had finished our work. I just didn't realize I had envisioned video chat thirty plus years before it was popular.

2. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

You should have gotten that patented... I will say, we had a lot of technology early on... The computer was a Commodore 64. That would have been over 20 years ago.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2013

Another memory I have of school is when I was in my self contained class. My teacher would read to us with a puppet called Mr. Peabody.

I was the highest cognitively in the class, sometimes I got to read a book to Mr. Peabody in front of the class. I remember that.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

I vaguely remember a few things about my first school- I only went for 3 weeks. There was a slide (a big metal one) in our classroom and a girl in my class liked my shiny shoes.

In my "real" school, I vividly remember my first day. My mom brought me in and I thought my teacher was SO pretty. I came in late- not sure why. Probably filling out paperwork or something. My teacher moved a few desks around and got me situated. Well, she moved someone else's desk (Rachel) in the process. I'm not sure where Rachel was during this, but she wasn't in the room. When she came in, there was full blown hysterics because I took her desk!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2013

I guess my earliest school memory was preschool, the three year old class. We were on the playground, and some kids were playing "I'll show you mine if your show me yours" on the top of the slide, where the adults wouldn't see. I refused to play, so a little boy clocked me in the face, gave me a black eye, and knocked me down the slide. I think I remember it so clearly because the school didn't call my mom. When she picked me up, she had a FIT. Fireworks. Yelling. I had never seen my mom freak out like that.

I didn't go back there again. They sent me to a lovely Montessori preschool, which had the most awesome playhouse ever and a nurse's costume for dress up, which I commandeered at every available opportunity (Mom was a nurse). And I met my first love there :lol:

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

There was a very naughty boy in my kindergarten class. One day he sat under the teacher's table and SCREAMED until the principal finally came in, crawled under the table, and dragged him out. After that he was in the other kinder class.

Each month we were supposed to bring in something from home that was a certain color, and I saved my purple toothbrush for what seemed like forever, waiting for it to be purple's "turn." We would all glue our objects onto a big poster to hang on the wall. When the day finally came, I got pulled out for something, and by the time I got back to the room the poster was finished and hanging on the wall - without my toothbrush. So sad!

The first seat on the school bus was the only one with seatbelts, so we would all race to be first in line so we could have a seatbelt.

We had a class sleepover at school. Yikes. Those are some BRAVE kinder teachers. I would never want to do that!

The bus was really late one morning, so my grandma took all the kids from my bus stop to school. By that point, we were all tardy, and had to go into the office. Boy were the office staff mad at my grandma - because I guess the bus driver was panicked when he got to the stop and there were NO kids there.
    Our busses had pictures, not numbers. I think mine was a cardinal, or a robin?

7. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jun 15, 2013

One of my favorite memories is of my teacher playing the piano. I loved when it was music time. Once I was in junior high or maybe even high school, I started to seriously think about being a teacher, but was concerned because I thought playing a piano was a requirement LOL.

I also loved art because we got to use that thick glue stuff that was sweet. Don't ask how I knew what it tasted like :)

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2013

My first memory is in Kindergarten, there were a.m. and p.m. classes. I was in the a.m. and I was the second kid there the first day of school. I remember crying my eyes out when my mom left. That's my first memory. All of my other memories of Kindergarten are pretty much the same. Crying pretty much everyday because I wasn't with my mom and/or because for some dumb reason despite there only being TWO buses at the school, I never knew which bus I was supposed to ride and I didn't want to end up taking the wrong bus home.

One time on the stairs up to the library, some boys pulled my pants down (which according to my recollection, they did that pretty regularly), of course I remember crying about this too, and when I told the teacher--nothing was done about it.

I hated Kindergarten. :eek:

Kindergarten for me was the 1990-1991 school year. Even more :eek: is that my 10-year reunion for graduation from high school is next weekend !!

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jun 16, 2013

I clearly remember being in nursery school, probably because my aunt was one of my teachers and I thought that was really cool. I still remember "kindergarten orientation", when all of the kids stayed in the room with the teacher, and the parents went into the next classroom to meet with other staff members. A lot of kids in the class were crying, and I just couldn't understand why since I was looking forward to going to school. I also remember my first day of kindergarten, when I was lined up with my class in the hallway, and my cousin's class (6th grade) walked by. I said hi to my cousin, and got yelled at by my teacher for talking in the hall!

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

Love this thread too! I remember being so excited when my uniforms were delivered. The first day of school, my mom walked me there, but the second day I got all turned around and I walked into an 8th grade class and got really scared of all the BIG kids. I had the best first grade teacher ever - Miss Costello, who married and became Mrs. ? She taught us to count using huge sequins (at least that is what they looked like) with numbers on them, and she was the one who taught me to figure out what the black lines on a page meant - I could finally read!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2013

I remember going to Preschool twice. Once for real & the 2nd time because one of my Mom's friend's daughter needed a preschooler to work with for a week. I think she was in high school.

I was in the P.M. kinder class. My memories from there include my teacher telling us if we laid very still we could feel the Earth move, this was during nap time. She left in March to move to Disneyland, she told us that she could see the fireworks from her backyard. I was mad the next year when the kinders got to go to Library, we didn't get to go.

The last day of kinder my friend from down the street & I walked home, over a mile, by ourselves. Probably the only time we were alone. I fell in "the field" which was actually an empty lot. I scrapped me knee. I remember my friend walking backwards, flapping his report card at my knee while we walked the rest of the way home. I still have the scar on my knee,