First School Memory

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jun 12, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2013

Just for fun. :)

What is your very first memory associated with school?

I remember my brother going to school and being terribly jealous (which is odd, because I had never been to school, preschool, daycare, or the like). We were the last pickup on the bus route so the bus had to come into the farm to turn around which gave me plenty of time to cry that I wanted to go, too. I would then play pretend school with invisible students in my bedroom.

My first memory of my own school exprience was registration where I had to answer a question about which shelf the ball was on (top, middle, bottom). I don't know why I remember that.

On my first day of kindergarten, I walked in and saw my sixth grade cousin bent over touching his toes in the hall getting paddled. No joke! :haha:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2013

I remember the tour the principal took my mom and me on before I started kindergarten. I even remember a few of the screening questions she asked.

My very first memory was when I was seven months old.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 12, 2013

I remember Meet the Teacher night and shopping for supplies for Kindergarten.

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

I can't remember anything related to school (or anything much at all) before 2nd grade. I'm lame :lol:

From 2nd grade, I just remember a snapshot of time. I remember sitting on the carpet with my fellow students, listening to my teacher read a story. I remember her having a big beehive hairdo and sporting a fake tan year round.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 12, 2013

Reading Buffy and Mack in Kindergarten---playing in the house area in Kindergarten---our principal dressed up as Santa and coming out of the storage close in Kindergarten. :D

I have a lot of Kindergarten memories. I also remember someone stealing an Arrowhead I brought in for show and tell....

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2013

In pre-k my mom had sent icecream to school with me for my class for my birthday. My birthday is generally in the first or 2nd week of school. I was too shy to tell my teacher that I had it. Obviously, that went well...

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2013

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(I would have likely done the same...I was painfully shy and awkward!)

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2013

I have an older brother and I got to visit when I was little while my mother volunteered. I got to do art while visiting. I desperately wanted to go to school. When I arrived to kindergarten I was thrilled all the way up to the door. We opened the door to the classroom and I was terrified and started crying. I remember the teacher leading me into the class away from my mom while I cried.

10. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2013

I remember being excited to wear a brown and white dress with a butterfly on my first day of kindergarten, and standing in front of the school while my parents took my picture.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

I don't have a lot of memories from 1st grade (we didn't have kindergarten) I have a lot more from preschool, and even earlier than that.
    One memory that stayed with me was when we were learning to write. We had to write cursive, and we were only allowed to write with pencils. Writing with a pen was a huge deal, and only alloowed when the teacher deemed our skill sufficient. I was the second student in my class to get a pen to write with. I must have gotten really nervous from such huge honor, because I made a mistake. I tried to erase it, and kept doing it (wet erase, I licked the eraser) until the paper came got really thin.
    That's it. I don't know why I remember this, and why not what happened after.

I also remember that I was trying to do some extra work at home. I filled a very tiny notebook with cursive writing, and when I proudly presented it to my teacher, she sort of shook her head and said it was 'kinda ugly'. I think that scarred me for a while.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

I remember riding in a taxi to preschool by myself. My mom knew the driver and she was having car trouble. I also remember getting in timeout because I buried a doll in the sandbox at preschool. I remember my fabulous kindergarten teacher reading to us and sitting in a rocker while wearing blue hose. I thought those were wonderful. My mom bought me blue tights so I could be like her. I also remember jumping on a trampoline as a treat at school when I was in kindergarten.

Oh, when I was in second I remember getting hurt on the playground and being sent in to have my teacher look at my cut. I walked in on my teacher and principal kissing. My mom spanked me for telling "that fib". My dad did his student teaching there and made my mom apologize for not believing me...all the teachers knew about their affair.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

I love this thread!!!!

My first memory of school was the first week of kindergarten. My teacher tested each of us to see how far we could count. I wanted to count to 100 like this boy who was super smart. Anyway, the teacher pulled me to her kidney table and I counted all the way to 79 and got stuck. I remember saying, "78, 79...79...79..." Then, I started crying. The teacher said something like, "Don't worry...that's why we're here: to learn!" I loved kindergarten and I loved that teacher, too. Whenever my mom would pick me up, the teacher always said I was a perfect angel!

My mom always reminds me that one day the teacher said, "Well...he wasn't exactly an angel today!" Haha!!!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

Awww...learning can be so stressful! :love:

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

I'm expanding this to early school memories...not just the first. :)

I remember baking blueberry muffins in kindergarten when learning the letter B. That aroma takes me back instantly!

Speaking of learning letters, I loved the blow-up letter people! I remember some specific ones like Miss A Achoo!

Did anyone else have the hot plate for melting crayons on paper? That was THE item when I was in kindergarten. Again, that smell...love! In first grade we didn't have that hot plate so we used the radiators and got in trouble. Oops.

I remember playing the kitchen and that darn wooden telephone fell from the fridge and hit me in the head.

I remember trying to hide the fact that I still sucked my thumb during naptime.

So many memories!

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

I have no memories from Kindergarten or first grade

I have some frazzled memories from second grade doing physical & occupational therapy

all I remember is how uncomfortable and weird it felt to be rubbing my hands in the shaving cream on the desk and how the PT kept forcing me to do it even though I kept crying because I hated the feeling (and still do) of shaving cream on my hands

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2013

I remember spreading a towel out on the floor of my kindergarten classroom and our teacher playing the piano to get us ready for "rest time".

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

I don't know if it's really a memory or just that I remember looking at the pictures and hearing the story....however, in Kindergarten I dressed up like a butterfly. My mom made these huge wings and we painted them. When the bus came the driver jokingly said "no insects allowed" and closed the doors. I started crying. :( I have not been an insect for Halloween since! :whistle:

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 13, 2013

My mom took me to nursery school playtime. I had a roll of butter rum lifesavers in my pocket. I took one out, and the teacher took them from me, threw them away, made me spit mine out, and scolded me for bringing candy. It scared me to death. :unsure: I had never been to a daycare, a babysitter, or anything school-related. Mom took me home because I was afraid of that woman after that.

She tried kindergarten the next year. It wasn't part of the school system. It was in a church basement. I was afraid I'd do something wrong and get yelled at again. Plus, Mom wasn't there like the playtime nursery school. I cried all day, and they told Mom I was too young for school.

That fall she sent me to first grade. Repeat crying. After a week admin told Mom to take me home and try again next year since I was five. Teacher thought I'd be fine. My parents let me stay. My teacher was amazing and really taught me to enjoy school. :wub:

Mom still tells people that she didn't think she'd ever get me to school, but once she did I've never left. :lol:

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

I never went to PK or daycare, so my first day of K was truly my first experience with other kids in a structured setting. I remember playing with a puzzle and being really mad when another kid came over and started helping. I don't remember any other detail other than being mad I had to share my toy :lol:

21. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jun 13, 2013

Don't know if it's because I'm a guy, but most of my really early memories of school have to do with recess:

Playing marbles (and losing most of them to the "big kids"):confused:
    Playing pitch with baseball cards (and losing them to the big kids):confused:
    Making forts out of pine branches and needles
    Playing "king of the mountain" on a hill in the woods (lots of pushing)
    Seeing how far we boys could get into the woods and still hear the end of recess bell (we had lots of space to run around)
    Climbing on the huge pile of rocks behind the building
    Shoe skating on frozen puddles
    Playing Red-Rover, tag and hand-baseball
    Jumping into the girl's jump rope activities
    Those huge, soft, maroon recess balls that really flew when you kicked them
    Boys chasing the girls
    Girls chasing the boys
    Attempting to smooch my first crush:hugs:
    Other kids saying "I'm reporting you!" for some infraction I'd committed...:blush:
    The sound of that fateful bell when recess was over:(

*In those days we had a 15 minute mid-morning recess, a 1 hour lunch/recess and a 15 minute mid-afternoon recess:) Those were the days when kids could be kids...

22. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 13, 2013

For three years I stood at the front door every morning with my book bag and cried. I wanted to go to school like my brother! When I started kindergarten I practically ran the whole way. My mom and brother could barely keep up with me. I walked in the class room and every one was crying. I wondered if I was suppose to be crying.
    I remember taking naps after my half day of kindergarten. I remember crying because on my report card I had a N because I couldn't tell time to the five minutes. I would say ten oh ten instead of ten ten. My mom said it was ridiculous and the teacher should be glad that was my biggest problem. Now I laugh because it can be really hard to teach kids how to tell time in the second grade. I can't imagine kindergarten!!

23. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jun 13, 2013

Vomiting on my kindergarten teacher's desk... NO JOKE :(

24. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Jun 13, 2013

I didn't go to Kindergarten in a public school. My mom taught me and my twin sister phonics with flashcards and number sense with Cuisenaire rods. But I remember going to visit the first grade before I started, and picking a BIG book to read, as well as decorating a giant cut-out of myself traced on paper.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

I remember Kindergarten and the wonderful wooden pretend play center. It was so big! I also remember the squishy vinyl cushions we used to sit on the floor. The librarian used them for story time also.

26. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 13, 2013

Fun thread!

My first school memory was of finding out my cousin, who was a year older than me was going to kindergarten. I cried and cried because I wanted to go to school too. So, my mom enrolled me in preschool. I remember bringing my mom's old vinyl lunch box with me to preschool with my snack. It was pink with a ballerina on it. I remember playing on the playground and counting to 100. We had a school program for Christmas (I think). We stood on risers. I was on the back row. The boy beside me got nervous I guess, fainted and fell off backward!

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

In kindergarten, the girl whose cubby was next to mine (and ended up being my best friend for YEARS) asked "want to look in my backpack?" I said "yes" and looked. Then I said "want to look in my backpack?" And she did.

BEST FRIENDS FOR EVERRRRRRR

:lol:

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

Preschool: biggest / strongest memory - my sister taught me how to read by the age of 4. I was the only kid to read in the entire preschool. When naptime came, the teachers usually read us a story. But now they got lazy, and had me read to the kids, (instead of napping) and they disappeared to the adjacent kitchen.
    As time when on, another kid learned how to read. By that time I read so many stories, that now they said I could just tell them by heart!
    I was a little outraged, and felt that all of this wrong, but we were not supposed to argue. :)

Preschool: we were washing our hands for lunch. The girl next to me (my friend) said she can wash her hands 30 times (or maybe more, I can;t remember) in 1 minute. We debated that it's possible / not possible, then she showed me: each time she turned the soap in her hand, she counted is as washing it one time ! :) I remember thinking: that is so silly, but I don't remember arguing, because I thought she tricked me.
    It's interesting to remember little things like this.

One of the funniest memories, well it wasn't fun for my mom, but she told me this so many times I will never forget it.
    We had after school program for preschool, too, until 5 pm. At 4 pm we got a snack, and a lot of times some parents came to pick up their kids at 4pm, but I usually stayed until 5 pm.
    This one day they were taking a huge basket of apples around for each of us to choose. The snack was butter bread and an apple.
    Before the basket would have gotten to me they called me out because my mom was there.
    But I still wanted an apple, and wouldn't let it go. They brought me an apple out, and I completely went crazy. I started kicking and screaming and crying, and they didn't know what was wrong with me, or what to do with me, until I cried out sobbing that "But I wanted an apple from the baaaaasket!!!" My poor mom. even after I got one, I could still not calm down because by that time I was way too upset.

29. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 13, 2013

Preschool- Getting to ride tricycles around the playground.

Kindergarten - Raising silk worms and playing house and singing Puff the Magic Dragon while sitting inside the fake oven (don't ask why, I guess it was the cave)

Chasing the boys behind the backstops and trying to kiss them. I caught a few

30. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 13, 2013

The most vivid memory I have is in 1st grade I cheated on a spelling test. No joke; that's probably an awful memory for a teacher to have! I had the words folded up in my desk and kept like... sliding down to look. I lost recess that day.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

Love it! :haha:

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

I am loving all of these. :)

33. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 13, 2013

My kindergarten teacher did a home visit and I told my little sister, "Don't you talk to her, cause she's MY teacher. "

In kindergarten, I acted up so badly during nap time that they carried me out of the room so the other kids could rest. Our school was also way out in the country surrounded by mountains and fields. We use to sit outside and play "Farmer in the Dell" and Duck Duck Goose.

In first grade, we were separated into reading groups. I remember a girl from another group saying that her group was higher and better readers than ours and always would be.

34. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

Not necessarily the first memory- but I remember they always had a day when parents could come spend some time with you and visit the classroom. We did centers in kindergarten. After circle time on the rug my teacher let us pick what center we wanted to go to. Each center had like 4 clothespins. You would wear one at the center while you were there until she rang her bell to switch centers. Obviously everyone would run to the snack center first (except for me I usually went to writing- go figure) The snack center had a red and white checkered table cloth. When my mom came to visit she sat with my and my friends at the snack center. Then she had to leave and I cried. (I had terrible separation anxiety lol)

I also remember visiting that same classroom in June before kindergarten with my mom. She took me to visit there and the Catholic school. In the Catholic school the kids sat in rows at desks in K and listened to the teacher read a book with no pictures. Then I went to that classroom and the teacher sat the kids on a rug, she played the piano, there were centers and a play area. So glad my mom picked the public school!

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

Back when I started school you didn't have to go until you were six, and then they tested you to determine placement. I remember starting in a room that I now know was similar to a preschool room- full of toys and blocks...next I was moved to a first grade room where I got paddled for talking; when my mom came in for a conference the teacher was amazed when I told my mom I was bored because I had read every book in her classroom...I was then moved to a combined class of grades 1 and 2 and that is where I decided I wanted to be a teacher! My teacher had us do Little Red Riding Hood for the whole school- IN FRENCH- and I got to be Little Red Riding Hood! I loved that class and that teacher SO MUCH! The next year we moved to another state and I never saw her again, but the happy, fun memories she gave me still bring tears to my eyes these 40 years later! :hugs:

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

I remember being tested for gifted before entering Kindergarden.

37. Massieduck

Massieduck Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

I remember in the first grade I was crawling along the floor looking for paper to throw away, and I ran smack into a table, and busted my chin wide open. I only remember, because I have a scar from it.

38. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2013

Letter people, graham crackers and milk from school kitchen for snack, playing inside, my teacher read the bible (in a public school), my teacher being old (she taught my mom and her siblings), we had a dentist come and leave a dummy patient so we could be dentists. We went to a local (small) airport for field trip then to our teacher's house for a picnic!!!

39. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

Yes! The Letter People, I loved Mr. M and will NEVER forget the song that goes with it.

In pre-school, I remember riding tricycles around book-shelves set up as a little "race-track."

I hated school since kindergarten, and I always cried when my mom dropped me off. I have no idea why. My kindergarten (er.. or first grade?) teacher taught us to count to 9 using one hand and keep count of the tens-place with the other (four fingers = 4, thumb only = 5, thumb and fingers = 9). I have always counted on my fingers like that.

In first grade, I kissed a boy on the cheek to gross him out!!! I also remember loving my teacher and following her around at recess (along with probably half the class) because we wanted to get picked to ring the huge bell she carried around at the end of recess.

I moved mid-second grade, and in my new school I was so terrified of everyone. I sat across from this kid with a retainer who spit when he talked and I couldn't understand him, and next to a kid who had been badly burned oh his arms. I had never seen either of those things, so it really scared me. We also had a class pet, a rabbit, and we would play with it during recess. I took it home for a week after my cousin died. My second grade teacher was extremely nice.

40. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

I remember asking my mom on the first day of school if every building we passed was the school. Apartment buildings, houses, churches, it didn't matter. As far as my first memory of school, I can remember my kindergarten teacher playing Baby Beluga on a record player, and dancing and singing along.

I also remembered getting letters from my grade one teacher's dog (he would sign them with a paw-print). And a few times when the teacher's son (who was our age) would come to school with her. He had the same name as me, and we looked a bit alike.

I also remember breaking the computer too many times to count, and then having a Science station on the five senses, and I fed my partner all the onion.

I also used to not realize that sour burps weren't actually vomiting, and that I wasn't really sick, so I would go home sick several times. I wasn't happy when they wouldn't call and I actually was sick! The office thought I was just faking each time they had previously sen me home, but I really thought I was sick, because I had thrown up a little in my mouth!

41. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 14, 2013

OH! I do remember something from preschool! You know those Playskool or Step 2 play kitchens? Something like...

[​IMG]

We had one of those in the "pretend play area", and I totally remember one of my little preschool comrades relieving himself in the sink. :eek: