First period planning?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by nstructor, Aug 5, 2011.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

Who has their planning bell first period? What are the pros of having planning first thing in the day?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

I had it last year and I loved it. It let me sort of ease into my day, make sure all my stuff was in order before the day began, that sort of thing.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

My entire school has planning before the first bell. It is nice to have time to get everything ready. It's not so nice when 25 people are waiting for a copy machine. And I do sorely miss a little break in the day.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

I have had first hour prep several times and I really dislike it a lot :(

I am a morning person and I usually am at school about 45 minutes before I have to be. I like to get going and having first hour prep just doesn't work for me. I usuallly don't like to leave at the end of the day until I have everything ready for the next day so having first hour prep is just like having a long coffee break because I am already ready for the day.

Also, it makes for a reallllllyyyyyy long day :( And I have always disliked having last hour prep too; makes for a really long day as well.

Now, I can name four teachers on my floor that LOVE first hour prep mainly because they have small kids and they don't have to rush so much in the morning.

So I think it really depends upon the way you work if you like first hour prep. Good luck :)

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

A teacher I worked with during field experience had her planning first period. She really liked it as it gave her time to get things together in the morning and ease into the day.

I had it every other Thursday during student teaching and I have to say it was kind of nice. I would come in and spend a few minutes catching up on the news and then putter around the classroom getting work done while drinking my coffee. It was pretty enjoyable!

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

Last year I didn't teach periods 1 or 2, and then had to go straight through the rest of the day. (1st period was my duty period and 2nd was my prep.) I agree with others that it is definitely a nice way to ease into the day. The only bad thing is that I would sometimes put off getting some things done (i.e. making copies) until the morning, and then I had to wait in the never-ending copy machine line that Chebrutta mentions! My preference is having my planning period at the end of the day, but I always get used to whatever schedule I'm given. This year I don't teach 1st or 7th (1st is my duty and 7th is my prep), so I'm happy with that arrangement.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

I loved having 1st period off because I could get things ready for the day without rushing or standing in line at the xerox machine (like the others mentioned!). I'm a morning person, so I was much more productive. I could also eat a leisurely breakfast instead of just slamming down a soda or something.

The down side was that I was often asked to cover classes for teachers who were running late or for subs who didn't show. That was a bummer, but at least they paid me when I had to cover an entire class (which was sometimes as often as 3 times a week).

My entire school now has planning at the end of the day, and honestly, I'm not nearly as productive. I get so tired that I just want to sit and hang out with my teacher buddies. LOL.

9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

Thanks for the responses. I'd prefer NOT to have planning first, because I will still get to school early! I also like to have at least 1 class first, so that I can grade their work and then won't have to grade work from ALL classes at the end of the day. Any more positive feedback would be appreciated! I'm really getting stressed over this!!!!!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

I loved having 1st period planning!! I'm not a morning person so it helped me ease into the day. This year I have last period planning so that'll make for a long day.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

Save some work from the previous day and grade it in the morning before class starts. It's just a matter of shuffling things around, changing when you do things, not really how you do things.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I forgot to mention this! In the past, when I have had a prep period in the morning, I am frequently asked to cover classes. I really dislike doing this, especially when I have to go to another teacher's classroom. There are specific things that I can't get done (phone calls, going to copy room, etc.) with 30 students in the room with me. I usually tell the secretary that I will cover the class if she really needs me to, but it would be easier for me if someone else did it. Luckily, at my school, some teachers are always looking to make a little more money, so they will usually jump at the opportunity! I only had to cover a few times last year.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I've never had it, but I don't think I'd like that. That said, I have last period planning this coming year, and I'm not looking forward to that. It's going to be a LONG day. We teach 6 of the 7 periods, so I'm going 1-6 in a row.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

Same, although I wouldn't say that I'm not looking forward to it. It's just going to be a different kind of challenge. :lol: I'll have an early bird next year, plus I sold a prep, so I'll teach 6 periods out of 7, although we technically only have 6 periods because early bird doesn't count. :p So, I'll teach early bird, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 with only my 30 minute lunch as a break. The good news is that since I teach early bird, my contract time is shifted a little bit, so I get to leave before the last bell rings, which means that I leave before the buses do so I get to avoid all the traffic. Yay!

15. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I like it when it coincides with my lunch. Then I have an extra long break right in the middle of the day.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2011

I think there are pros and cons to any planning period.

I had first period planning my first year teaching. It was great being a new teacher if I was unsure about the content or how to do a certain lab. I could go and watch another teacher in the department beforehand.

Other pros:

Nice way to work up to the day slowly.
    Copy paper is plentiful in the workroom.
    You can prep for all of your classes at once. If you have the same preps throughout the day it is great to have a time before ALL of them start, either fourth or first planning, to get it done.
    Any snacks the PTA brings for the staff are still in the workroom ;)

Cons:

You're asked constantly to cover classes for other teachers who are running late to work or whose sub did not show.
    It is really easy to tell yourself you can leave the day before since you have planning period before classes the next day. You might end up getting caught unprepared if you do this.
    You have your break first thing which means you have ALL day to teach without another one.

17. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 8, 2011

Overall, I loved 1st period planning as well!

Pros: Use the time to plan for the day (or week even!), eat a good breakfast while grading papers (i usually had some yogurt and granola or cereal and milk), use the time to set the tone for the rest of your day, set up for the classes coming in.

Cons: ALL the rest of your classes are pretty much back to back with lunch in the middle - very little "down time".

This year I have the last hour of the day as my planning so I'm wondering if while planning/grading I can hold off on lunch till then. :) A quiet, un-rushed lunch sounds great.

18. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

When I student taught, planning was first period. It was ok, but I really prefer mine to be either the last period or in the middle of the day, like period 4 on a 6 period day.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

I had 1st period prep last year. I LOVED not having to start the day running. It's so relaxing to have that time to settle in and plan. Of course the danger is just using the time to organize and settle in, instead of pushing forward with preps.

20. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Aug 10, 2011

They all can be good

I don't really like 1st or 2nd period planning (we are on A/B schedule), because you always have to cover others and you end up doing all the administering for our SOL's (they're always held during 1st and 2nd blocks.) I always liked 7th block, because I have after school theatre, and it gave me 45 minutes to gather what I need for rehearsal, and those seniors who leave early could come to me and work on stuff before rehearsal started. I have had 5th for the last two years, which coincides with lunch, so it's really long, and it gives me a nice break.

21. RebekahD

RebekahD New Member

Aug 15, 2011

I have first period planning. It has it's pros and cons. I don't feel like I have to kill myself to there extra early, but it does make for a LONG day!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I had 1st period off for a short time last year (before I picked up an extra class in November.)

It gave me a great opportunity to get stuff Xeroxed, and to get organized for the day.

Of course, it also gave me access to the bagels and muffins, which was NOT a good thing!!!

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I'm able to schedule my own planning periods in my timetable--I coordinate with the classroom teachers I provide in-class support for. Last year I had first period planning almost every day; the in-class need wasn't as great that period and I often had meetings before school that ran into first period a bit.

This coming year, however, I'm going to try to schedule myself into a classroom that period. I'm sharing my office/resource room this year and the teacher with me will have first period planning. We'll both be more productive if we aren't in the room at the same time.

24. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

I agree. I will have first period conference again this year and it's all a matter of rearranging. Even if you get to school early, don't think of first period prep as tmie to prepare for your day. Think of it as time to prepare for the next day or week. It helps you get ahead and besides, sometimes you think you'll have enough to get things ready for the day and then encounter broken copy machines or other time delays.

In the event that you aren't completely prepared for the day, you will be sighing with relief on the ride to school. :)

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2011

I have to have my planning first thing in the morning and I hate it. All of the grades have literacy block first thing, and I'm not allowed to pull anyone out of that whole group lesson so I have no choice but to schedule planning for that first 40 minutes. I am just not a morning person-I'm exhausted in the mornings. When the kids are there, I'm busy enough to not notice, but if I'm just by myself it's so hard to get anything done. I also feel that as special ed teacher I'm always dealing with little "crisisis" and most often they haven't happened quite that early. Later in the day when I really need time to deal with something, I just don't have it. This year because of my recess/lunch duties I'm going to have to schedule my lunch at 11:00 some days. With planning and lunch being in the morning, that's going to be a looong afternoon- school doesn't end until 4.

The one positive is that if you're really behind for whatever reason, you have time to play catch up in the morning.