First paycheck

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by marylandteach, Jul 24, 2008.

1. marylandteach

marylandteach New Member

Jul 24, 2008

Hi all,
    I am a new teacher for the upcoming school year and I am wondering when I will get my first paycheck. I don't start working until the end of August, but my benefits start August 1st. So will I get paid before I start? I am running out of money from my college budget and was just wondering what you thought. I called the district but the person I need to talk to is on vacation. Thoughts?
    Mary

3. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

It all depends on your school district! I have received checks before I started working so you might. Have you tried looking on your school website? Sometimes they might have paydates listed for teachers. My current school we don't get our first paycheck until Sept. 15. ::p

4. basswife

basswife Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Two disticts that I worked for in the past did not start paying you until Sept. 15th. That can be very rough when school starts in early August!
    The district I currently work for paid us on Aug. 15th last year and we are expecting the same this year.
    Maybe you can ask your principal or another newer teacher in the building?

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

We get paid every other Friday, so if we start teacher inservice days on a wednesday the next Friday we get our first paycheck.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

There is no way to tell - my district starts the new year with August, my friend doesn't get paid until the end of September.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2008

Call your principal -- she/he may be able to answer your question.

8. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Last year I received my first paycheck on September 15th. It all depended on how late paperwork was put in. My friend had to wait til the end of September while mine was put in early so I was paid on time.

9. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

We get our first check September 19th, but I feel your pain. I don't really know how I'm going to pay for gas for a month with nearly no money...

10. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

This is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed in education! I was worried about it too as I am back in NC after being in FL for the last 4 years. In FL, they pay you twice a month, but only for actual days worked so nothing in advance! I think the first check was always our work week before kids came back check. In NC, I had forgotten, we only get paid once a month so I was worried about not getting a check until the end of September, which would've been really bad!!!!!!! Luckily, I found out I'll get a regular check in August. Thank goodness! I hope you have found out by now and can make it work!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2008

I feel your pain too! I just graduated college in May and have stretched my money beyond belief! I was worried that I wouldn't be paid until the end of September (in my district, we're paid on the last day of the month), but found out at my paperwork session that I will get paid at the end of August, which I was so so so happy about! Only one more month!

I suggest you call the payroll office and just ask. Tell them you're a new teacher and you're curious when you'll first be paid. No shame in that...I'm sure they've already had other new teachers call to ask!

12. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

My district will pay me on Sept 25, BUT they do have a "loan" program which will allow me to get $1800 on Sept. 1 and that amount be taken out from my 12 paychecks afterward--like loan payments.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2008

Check your district's website. It could be listed there- I know my district posts the pay schedule.

At my school, we get paid monthly on the last weekday of the month. I will get paid August 29th. It is nice in August to get paid for a full month, even though we only work 2 weeks. But, when you get your last check in May and still have to finish out June... :mad:

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

Missred,
    Our district does that too... you can get a $2,000 advance on your pay if you are a new teacher, and it is spread out over the rest of the year. It is a god-send to many new teachers, especially those who are moving to the area and need to make utility and security deposits and such.

15. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

My district pays on 09/15 but since I'm a first year teacher they offered to pay me in 25 checks instead of 24 so I get one on 08/29. It only comes out to about $100 less per paycheck. Maybe you can look into this.

16. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

My district we have 24 pays so everyone gets paid during the summer. We don't have a choice.

17. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 25, 2008

Our union will advance first year teachers a certain percentage of a paycheck. Then they take out equal increments from future paychecks. I think it is a nice service to provide. Check to see if your union offers that paycheck.

18. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

We get paid year around last working day of the month.

19. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

Call your HR office, they will tell you when your first paycheck will come.

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

If you join your local union, check to see if they offer any interest free loans. My local union offers all first year teachers $1000 loan INTEREST free :)

If you were a new teacher in my district, you would recieve your first paycheck on the second scheduled payday since we are paid two weeks behind.

21. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

We start mid august and don't get paid till mid sept. That's just us though, I think it varies with School Districts

22. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

our frist paycheck it the last work day of September.. and contract start day is Aug 27

23. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

We get paid on the 26th of each month and I didn't get my first paycheck until September 26th. Each state/district/campus will probably do it different.

24. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I get mine on the 25th of September. :(

25. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

Even though I was told during my contract signing session that I would receive my first paycheck at the end of August...this post has been haunting me so I just called to double check! Ha ha! It only took a 20 second phone call for an answer. I get paid the end of August as I was told...thank goodness!

26. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

In NC we get a regular check in August, but no check in June. Kids come back 25th of August, but don't get out until June 10th. UGG. no june check can be tricky, but credit union has a plan for teachers.

27. synaesthetist

synaesthetist Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I actually just found out that my school district doesn't pay it's first paycheck until September 15th. This is pretty bad considering I'm moving in August and will be hundreds of dollars short on rent for September. Ugh, I'm going to definitely contact the union and find out if they do no/low interest loans to teachers. I'm a new teacher so I don't even know who to contact!

28. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I know why they call them "the dog days of summer"! I'm hurting also! My mom had to give me money for gas (ha! I don't even live at home). My school has paid training the end of August, I'm praying I get paid August 30th!

29. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Do you not get paid over the summer in NC? I just got a position there but am from GA and this is my first year, however in GA teachers get paid all year including summers. The salary is broken into 12 months.

30. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Most school systems do not do 12 month pay. Some do, but offer 10 month pay. State Employees Credit Union does a summer cash account, in which they have the school system take X amount out of your paycheck each month and it is deposited in your account once in June and July. It draws 5% interest that is deposited with your July deposit. It is really kind of nice. It also keeps the district for making interest on your money, you get that money!

31. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

It depends when you are put on payroll and where you teach. I know in my district, returning teachers do not get paid until September 5th. We are paid every 2 weeks on a ten month schedule. We start back on the 19th of August and will have close to a full paycheck for the first paycheck of the school year.

32. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 2, 2008

August 29th for me!! I service is August 14-August 22 and school starts August 25th

33. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

We start Aug. 4th and don't get paid until Sept. 15. I guess the new little teachers must starve, I don't know. It's terrible though.

34. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I was lucky to get a four-figure sum for relocation expenses from my district, which I was astounded by due to the budget situation etc. Pay is always hard when you start a new job, but doubly so when you have moved from bi-weekly to monthly...

35. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 3, 2008

I'm getting my first one on Sept. 15--- though I don't have any clue when my benefits kick in.

I had about $10 grand saved before I moved into my new apartment, so I'm living off of that.

My school allows for it to loan the teachers a check or two ahead of time, as long as we pay it back either with an upcoming pay check or later on before the school year is over. So I would suggest asking somebody about that... like you mentioned the person was out on vacation.

Also, in my private school, we're able to choose 10 paychecks or 12 paychecks a year. I chose the 12 paychecks so that each one will be a little less than the 10, but I'll get paid over the summer and won't have to worry about saving from each month for the summer months.