First paycheck of the school year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Aug 29, 2015.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 29, 2015

Just wondering when everyone gets/or has gotten their first paycheck of the new school year???

School starts next week, we go back on Tuesday, September 1st...still can't believe the summer is ending, i know for some of you it already has and you are now back in school.

This year (per our new contract) we will be getting our first paycheck right away on September 4th, which is only 3 days after we start....this is huge! Paychecks will be a little le$$ this year but I have already prepared myself for that.

I do have a part time (work from home job) which does help and it has really gotten me through the month of August especially. I am just so grateful that I will get my full time paycheck right away, rather than wait 3 whole weeks for it the way we use to:D

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 29, 2015

So jealous that you get yours so early! I get mine Sept. 15th after not being paid all summer! It's rough.

I anticipate mine being bigger as we just finished negotiations which resulted in pretty decent raises. We also jump up 2 steps this year since last year we were on the same step as the year before due to the prior contract expiring. It was a bit messy.

However, despite the raise, pension and healthcare contributions are going up :|

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 29, 2015

We just finished week four with kids. We don't get paid until the fourth week of September.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2015

Preach!

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 29, 2015

8 weeks of work before getting paid?!? :eek:

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 29, 2015

WOW! We use to have to wait for 3 weeks AFTER school started (not to mention the 2 weeks before school, because summer school paychecks ended) and that was almost impossible, bills wise so i can't even imagine waiting any longer..thats why in the summer I do 5 weeks of summer school, plus a part time WFH job...or i'd have to go the entire summer plus September....i'd never make it!

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 29, 2015

Kids come back on Sep 8. We get our first paycheck on Sep 4. Everyone's pretty mad because we'll have worked for a week (in-service) before being paid. It's actually the first time it's happened. :p We were due to get our first check on Aug 28th (8 weeks since last check) but they pushed it back a week. Not sure they'll do that again after all the kerfuffle!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 29, 2015

We can opt to have our paychecks spread out over 12 months. We always get paid the last day of every month, and the first paycheck of the school year is the last day of August. Teachers have been back since August 4th.

I was new to my school last year - came from a different part of the state. I did work a month before I got paid anything.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 29, 2015

Our first check for the contract year is August 15. Teachers reported back August 10, and we didn't have kids until the 17.

11. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

Teachers reported back August 19th, students on the 24th. We get paid the end of the month but when I checked my account this morning it was waiting to process through my bank. We haven't been paid since early June and after a summer that included my car losing a fight with a deer it definitely felt like a weight was lifted when I saw it there.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 29, 2015

Well, only for new teachers.

The rest of us got our checks for June, July, and August in June.

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

Ugh this was me when to moved out of state 2 years ago. I had to buy all new furniture. I JUST paid off all my moving expenses/furniture/rent this month. I also had 1.5 month gap between when my last school paid me and my new one paid me since my new school started a month after my old one would have. :eek: I was definitely paying bills and groceries with credit cards for a while since I had very little savings left. I hope I never have to go through that again!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

We went thru a year and a half of tough contract negotiations. We got a small raise, but when I got my paycheck last September it was about $70 less than it had been in June due to increased pension and healthcare contributions. :(

We will get paid September 15. Years ago I worked for a district that paid in the first day...it was really nice after the summer!

15. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

Oh no! I hope that's not the case this time! I neeeeeeed a raise because I live alone and all of my expenses are going up.
    We work in the same state so I don't think our healthcare is changing or increasing, but I will be in a new income bracket so my contribution percentage will go up. :(

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

If you are in NJ, your healthcare is most likely going up. The increases are supposed to 'sunset' after 4 years...yeah, sure.:dizzy:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/reform-hb-qa.shtml

17. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

I thought we were on year 4 already so we just stay at year 4 unless new changes are implemented, so essentially we would be paying the same as we were before unless income changes. Could I be wrong? I basically am going up 7% fron last school year because I am entering a new income bracket.

18. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 30, 2015

I started back August 10th and got my first paycheck August 27th. After buying a house and some unexpected costs this summer, I was very happy to see that money in my bank.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

We aren't in year 4 yet because we were frozen during our negotiations...It seems to be unclear what happens after 4. It was originally supposed to sunset, but given th current climate.....:dizzy:

https://www.njsba.org/news/school-leader/11122013/negotiating-over-health-benefits-costs.php

20. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 30, 2015

We are paid over 12 months. We are paid mid-month except for July, I've noticed it can show up as early as the 5th. I think it just has to do with whoever deals with that going on vacation.

For teachers that just start, I guess their first paycheck would be mid-September which sucks. My car decided to freak out this month to the tune of $600 so mid-September seems like a long, long time away.

21. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

I've been very lucky this summer to not have any surprise costs. I wasn't so lucky last summer. Since we don't get paid over the same (July and August), we have to save for the summer. I saved barely enough to cover my bills and other costs, but I just had to recently dip into my non-summer/emergency savings. It makes it really hard to save long-term when saving for the summer is an immediate priority.
    :( Sept. 15th can't come soon enough!

Last summer I totaled all the tires and rims on my car and had to fork out $1,000 AND got into a fender bender (separate occasion). Good times.

It sounds like it's up to individual boards of ed to determine contributions in the future. Should make for very interesting negotiations in the future. Our new contract doesn't expire until 2018, so it looks like we're stuck with the status quo until then...

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 30, 2015

Sept. 10th. Been back since mid August.

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2015

I was supposed to be paid Friday and wasn't. I'm on 10 month payroll so I'm really needing that check. HR is going to get a very angry phone call from me Monday.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

Were you the only one? :(

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

The students start Sept. 8th. We don't have any mandatory days before then, although we'll all be in sometime this week to set up and prep. Our first pay will be on the 11th--for the four days that week.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

Teachers reported 8/17. We'll be paid 9/5 but we're paid all year so it's not bad. It's just a matter of when our raises kick in.

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2015

I started August 3rd and got paid August 20th. They divide new teachers' paychecks into 13 months the first year, so we can get paid earlier. Returning teachers get paid 3 paychecks in June for June, July, and August. Then they don't get paid again until September 20th. I've never had that before and am not really looking forward to it next summer!

28. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

Teachers reported back on August 7, and school started August 11. We don't get paid until September 4. Our salary is stretched over 12 months, but as a first year teacher, I didn't get anything for August. I did have a choice of getting up to a $1,000 in advance, but I would have had to pay it back $200 a month until it's all paid off, so I chose not to go that route. I've been very fortunate to have parents who were willing to pay my living costs until my first paycheck, so that's the only reason I'm surviving!

29. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 31, 2015

That's great your parents are helping you, in the past my mother did the same thing for me when I needed it.

Didn't realize that so many teachers have been back for days, if not weeks...

I can't believe school starts tomorrow!!!!

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2015

I'm so thankful that we are paid over the summer! New teachers have the option of dividing their checks over 13 months the first year so they were paid along with returning employees on the Aug 20. We're paid the third Thursday of every month. For those new teachers who didn't opt for the 13 month, they will have to wait until Sept 17. New teachers started Aug 11 with new teacher orientation, all other teachers started back Aug 17.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 31, 2015

Teachers started July 28th, and kids started August 5th.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 31, 2015

Our teachers' last paycheck was June 30th. They get paid today, August 31st.

I clearly remember how awful the stretch from June 30th to August 31st was!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2015

Just got a new job, so I'm still in the process of finding out how often the pay days are...hopefully 2x/month in which my first pay day should be sometime before Sept is over.

34. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 31, 2015

Ms. I what type of job..is it online?

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2015

36. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 4, 2015

Well, I received my first paycheck today uggggh I had to brace myself because even though I did get my raise, as we do every year-------------you would never know I got an increase at all!!!

Now that they are spreading out our paychecks to receive more of them...we went from 38 to 45 (we get paid weekly) my check was smaller but I did receive it 3 days after school started, rather than wait until the middle of September...which is a PLUS so I can live with it!

The shock is beginning to wear off a bit now:eek::mellow::unsure:

37. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 4, 2015

Today was our first payday. We have been back in class 13 school days.