First Open House/Meet the Teacher Night

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by peridotylayne, Sep 9, 2007.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Sep 9, 2007

My first open house/meet the teacher night EVER is going to be September 13th from 6:00-7:30. I honestly have no idea what I'm suppose to do. I know I have to go over dress code, school rules, class expectations.. but that won't cover an hour and a half. I'm also not suppose to talk to the parents about their children.. I'm suppose to tell them to set up a conference time if they would like to discuss concerns. Any idea how to make it interesting and keep everyone involved for a whole 90 minutes??

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

You could discuss ways that parents can help students with homework. As far as making it interesting, have some sort of activity for the parents to complete. It might be on the same lines as an activity that the students have done in class.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

You will be surprised how fast it will go.

Have an outline of all the things you want to discuss. Including the way things work in your class, routines, homework etc. What you need their help with.

Have a wish list posted.

Open it up to questions, but be careful.... don't be afraid to say "I will have to think about that and I will let you know in a future newsletter home. Don't commit to something you haven't thoroughly thought through.

Then just mingle and some will come up to you with specific questions about their children but do the conference or appt thing.

Good Luck! Let us know how it went!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2007

We had the kids lay down and draw an outline around their bodies. Then they wrote sentences on different body parts. They glued blown up pictures of their faces and colored clothes on the body. We had them posted on the shades, easel, cabinets, corners, etc. The parents walked into a room of students displayed. Then we had their journals and other small works they did along with a power point handout of the rules, procedures, schedules etc. The parents commented about their child's work, asked questions about things they saw in the room and generally had a good time.

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 9, 2007

i've done a scavenger hunt... students have a checklist of things around the room that they have to show/explain to their parents. at the end, i have cookies or some sort of treat, then i go over a packet of information.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2007

I have the kids write a letter to their parents. Usually they tell the parents to look at something they like in the room, and tell them about their favorite thing at school. They leave the letters on their tables and the parents sit there and read them. I leave out paper and pens for the parents to write a note back. It is so cute to see the kids come to school in the morning and read what their parents wrote. The kids really look forward to it.

Also, be sure to talk a little about curriculum, special things in your room like field trips, birthdays, how parents can volunteer, wish list items (tactfully) and especially HOW MUCH YOU ENJOY THE KIDS... parents want to know that you like their kids. Even if you have a rowdy class, say something positive about the class as a whole.

I also have some articles out for the parents, such as suggested book lists. I also give them a copy of our schedule to take home, and some other important handouts-- whatever I think is necessary pertaining to the group. I think last year I had one about the importance of consistency in the home-schedule, for homework, bedtime, play, etc. and about not over-scheduling the kids. I find something that I think will strike a cord with the parents in the group.. usually from a professional teaching magazine or something.