First Names...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Loves2TeachinSC, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

:confused: Okay, here's a silly question for a newbie like me. When I am writing my letter home to parents, do I include my first name? Or just what the students will call me? Are first names a big deal?

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

Some people are comfortable with parents calling them by their first names and some are not. When I send home letters to the parents I sign my first and last name. If a letter goes home to the parents that the children will also be reading then I just sign my last name. I feel uncomfortable having the parents calling me by my first name but some do I I don't say anything. Many teachers have no problem with parents calling them by their first name. It is just personal preference.

4. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

It depends on the kind of note I'm sending home. If it's a note about good behavior or asking for supply donations etc I sign it with my first name. If it's more a down to business letter about behavior or a conference etc I sign Mr. ___________

I'm very comfortable with parents calling me by my first name although many don't. I see parents outside of school for my second job and they still call me Mr. ____________ out of habit even when I ask them to call me by my first name.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

I sign my first and last names. Parents usually call me Mrs. because that's what the kids call me. After I get to know them well, I might say, "Oh, call me (first name)."

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 29, 2006

In everything that I send home, I always sign both names. My kids know my entire name anyhow. They just don't use it out of respect and we discuss that in the classroom. I just feel like the parents and I are a team and we are working together to help their child. I don't want to be on a higher level than the parents. We are working together and that is all that matters to me.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

Oh Daisy are you hiding your first name from us?:D

8. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

I always use Mrs. Clark when I sign everything just because it keeps everything professional, businesslike and has an expectation of respect. When I send home my introductory letter at the beginning of the year, I sign it with first and last name, because it is the introduction.

9. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 29, 2006

I have another new teacher/letter home question: Do you tell parents that this is your first year of teaching? I thought I had heard that leaking this info makes parents very nervous, especially since I am sooo young looking. Thoughts?

10. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

I have no problem letting parents know this is my first year! I am not arrogant, but I am confident in my teaching. I may need some help with the particulars, but I know I can do it when it all boils down.

Thanks for the input on first names...really helpful!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

I sign things Mrs Alice A......... But parents around here do NOT callus by our first names.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

I was a parent volunteer for several years, and always made a point of calling the teachers whatever the kids called them if kids were around. In the teacher's room or after school, it might be another matter.