First name

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Mar 22, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

Ok, I've been asked before by students about my first name. I don't feel comfortable telling them, but usually avoid the question or ignore it. However, it's getting asked freqeuntly. How would you deal with this? Have you been asked this? How often?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2010

Yes all of my students know my first name. They also know that it is not polite to call me or any of the teachers in our school by their first name. I don't make a big deal out of it. And either do they.

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

More questions come from the unknown, than the known...so tell them & it will become a non-issue.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

You could say it is Mister. Or Ms if you're female.. .I just realized I don't know.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I usually say it's "Mrs." They know what it is because it's on the school website.

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

My first name is in our school directory, on our website, heck its even on my manditory nametag! I second what has already been said- making your name a secret makes it even more of a big deal. Tell them, emphasize the appropriate respect, then sweep it under the rug.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

Ditto above. My name is on the district website, calendar, directory..no big deal. My kids don't use my first name, they just know my first name.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

All of my students know my first name since we go by our first names at my school :D. I have some that even know my parent's first name, my siblings first name and my nephew's name (gotta love writer's workshop).

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

Mine is also readily accessible; it's on their schedules.

But in 25 years, no kid has ever used it to my face.

11. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

Ok, maybe I'll tell. I was afraid they'd call me by my first name, but maybe knowledge makes it less fun.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

That's when your teacher look comes in handy:p.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2010

Work your first name into some sort of lesson so it's just not like Oh by the way my first name is Jaime.

Laughing I did have one student my first yr in K only call me by my first and last name. I told him we say Ms. and last name and he said Ms. Jaime Last name haha. It took about a month for him to understand it was just Ms. Last Name.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

I teach 3-year olds. They learn my first name when we get to the letter my first name starts with. We move on from there (they always call me Mrs. Lastname). They are more enthralled that my assistant and I don't live in the school.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

Let them 'earn' your name one letter at a time with their good behavior...

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2010

Goodness, my students know my first, middle, and last name, which includes my maiden name! I always knew my teachers' first names as well; it wasn't exciting..it just was.

My first name is everywhere, and each time I have a handout on the projector the first thing I do is put my first and last name on it so the students see it just as though I were a student. Sometimes I do use my siblings' names, and they know when I'm doing that as well.

I've had perhaps two students ever call me by my first name, and I simply ignored them. And not in an obvious I'm-ignoring-you type of way, but so that the students would think I truly must not be trained to respond to my first name. Even with this happening a couple of times over a few years, it's still not an issue whatsoever.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

My first name is known by my students, not a big deal. I answer to Mrs. _____.

However, upon graduation, it is a big deal for some students to call me by my first name. I'm okay with that. It is usually such a habit that even if I see them 4 years later, it is still Mrs. _____.

I also don't mind if students call me by just my last name (dropping the Mrs). This doesn't fly with some teachers, but it doesn't bother me.

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

I use my first name in the classroom all the time. (If I'm doing an example on the board or whatever). They don't call me by it.
    I don't see why it should be such a big secret.

19. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

Good idea. Thanks.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

My name is on the door! It hasn't been an issue. Sometimes I think I hear my first name, but there are many students in my class who's first names start with the same letter as mine.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2010

I haven't really had kids ask-they just figure it out when they do state testing and my name is on it. I've never had anyone really say it to my face, but I've had at least 2 kids who gave me cards (one for a holiday, and one just random), that said Dear Firstname. I thought it was funny. I just said thank you and didn't acknowledge they used my first name. (I think it's funny in that situation, but I wouldn't tell them because then they might use it more!)

22. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

My answer would depend on their age. If they were in Kindergarten, I might tell them my first name was big bird. After they get a bit older, I tell them "Ms/Mr/Mrs" is my first name

My main concern with them knowing my first name is that according to google, I'm the only person in the world with my first and last name and that doesn't leave any room for privacy, and I remember what we did when we had teacher's first names in high school.

Once while subbing I told the kids I was 110 when asked my age (usually I say I'm between 1 and 100). Well they believed it and told the next teacher how old I was and how good I looked. She had to explain to them that I had been joking

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Personally, I don't think telling any age kids that Mrs. is a first name is very fair. It's not true! It seems patronizing to me. Tell them that adults go by a title (Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss), and their last name. Period. Teach them that it is one way kids can show respect to people who are older than them. Show them that outside of school, adults can use first names with each other-and here is where you can tell your name, and maybe role play a bit (if necessary-depending on age). But in school, it's Mr. or Mrs.

I sometimes think we don't give kids enough credit to do the right thing!

24. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

I come from a culture where we use first names instead of last names. So... my kids call me Rox or Mrs. Rox. They often don't know what my last name is!

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

I can understand if that is the culture of your school, but many people suggested just telling kids that your first name is Mr. or Mrs. That is not true, and while kids will figure it out of course, I just think it is unnecessary to lie to students.

It's like a parent giving the ol' "because I said so" excuse for a rule! Just level with the child, and tell them the real reason!

26. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

A teacher's job is to foster critical thought, which you can't do without giving the children information to think critically about. If you want blind acceptance of everything out of your mouth without a moment of intelligent thought ever taking place in the student's mind, than by all means, never tell them anything they have to spend a moment to think about if its true or not.

If you want to foster a mind that is capable of thinking critically, evaluating information, and deciding the best course of action, then you need to provide the setting for that to take place. You have to present false information at times so that students are able to realize that just because an adult or a teacher says something, doesn't means its true, and that they need to use their own criticial thought patterns to determine what truth really is.and thats one of the most useful skills that can ever be taught

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Really, critical thought from thinking about whether a teacher is named Mrs.?

Presenting false information, that would be lying. Some cases, sure, I can buy this...for example, just the other day, we did an activity in math whereby I asked students to tell if a certain situation could occur always, sometimes, or never. The statements were things like "the sum of the measures of the two smaller angles of a triangle is less than the measure of the third angle", or "if two angles of a triangle are complementary, the triangle must be a right triangle". There was definite critical thinking going on as each student tried to prove if each statement was possible. These statements were most certainly not all true, but students had to evaluate the best way to figure out if and how often each statement could happen.

That's critical thinking. I could give a million other examples in other subjects as well.

But saying a teacher's name is Mrs? That's silly. I can see the playground conversation now:

Billy: I know Mrs. Smith's name!
    Susie: Me too!
    Billy: It's Mrs.!
    Susie: Billy, you're so stupid! Nobody's name is Mrs.! All of our teachers would have the same name! Hey, Georgie, guess how stupid Billy is?
    <Billy turns eight shades of red, and throws sand at Susie...>

That's not critical thinking, that's trickery. For what purpose? To make it easier on a teacher? Wouldn't it just be easier to say "My name is Jane, which my adult friends are welcome to call me. In school, we use Mrs. Smith as a sign of respect and I would like you to do the same. Now take out your math book."

But whatever, it's up to the individual. I teach sixth grade. This Mrs. business isn't going to fly with my kids. To each his own! :)

28. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Your scenario could only take place if no critical thought happened - which would only happen if the teacher never presented scenarios for critical thought, which makes it extremely unlikely to occur. Thats the kind of scenario that occurs when you expect kids to always blindly accept what you say is true and would only occur in kids who were treated that way by their teachers instead of treated as individuals capable of intelligent thought. And even a 5 year old is capable of that, if given the chance. And they should be.

A child who is taught that adults always tell the truth, is a child who goes off with a stranger because the man said, "i'm a friend of your dad's and he asked me to come get you." A child who has been taught to always evaluate adults for the truth says, "i don't know you" and runs to someone they do know

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

I hear ya, Toak, I really do. I understand what you are saying about critical thought. But my point is why make something that could be solved in a one-sentence statement and be over something to have to think critically about? You're right, most kids do accept what adults say as the truth. They wouldn't expect an adult to misrepresent their name, because names are IMPORTANT to kids. It's not a harmful question, it's not something that is particularly intrusive in most cases, so if they ask, and a teacher says "my name is Mrs.", what reason would they have to think critically about that statement? More than likely, they call other adults outside of school by their first names (that's a general statement, I know some areas that don't). So here is their teacher, deadpan, telling them something that could plausibly be true. They don't know what Mrs. means. A name could be anything!

Now, if a student asked me that question and I said my name was "Boogerface Smith", they're going to question that. Because it has context to them. It can't possibly be true!

On the opposite side of that coin, remember that these kids are growing up in the generation of Moxie Crimefighter, and Jermajesty, and even Apple--names are weird nowadays. If a student was introduced to their new classmate, little Moxie Crimefighter, would we want them critically thinking about how that couldn't possibly be true? Is that rude?

I dunno, if you put Mrs. next to Bluebell Madonna, which is more strange?

(btw, I'm really not trying to argue with you, and you certainly aren't the only one in this thread who said to just say Mrs. I'm just playing devil's advocate...)

30. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2010

I imagine you might teach critical thought in ways other than giving false information. One could give incomplete or unclear information and ask the kids to make a decision and analyze their reasoning, or ask them to make and justify a prediction of what would happen if a particular policy was enacted. One does not have to lie to them.

As far as untruths go, I think telling the kids your first name is "Mrs." is relatively harmless -- but I must say I think your justification for it is a bit silly.

31. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

what's the big deal about telling students your first name? i don't get it

32. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Mar 27, 2010

:thumb:

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 27, 2010

I was kidding when I said to say "Mr." or "Mrs." was the first name. My students use my first name. It's a big part of our school philosophy. No, I don't think they would respect me more if I went by a title.

34. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 27, 2010

All my kids know my first name... I use it when I model writing my name on paper... I used to write 'Mr. (my last name)' and then they all wrote 'Mr. (their name)' on their papers... yikes! So now I just use my first name... they all know my first name, it's no big deal - they know the respectufl thing to do is call me Mr. - not by my first name.

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2010

hehe.

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

That's how I work as well. My name is not a secret but the students are not privilaged to use it.

Having said that many years ago in my first year at the school we were on a residential field trip and it had rained solid for 3 days on the trot. We had to keep the kids indoors and everyone was suffering with cabin fever! So we had a quiz. We were struggling to think of questions when a colleague had the brainwave to get the kids to guess our first names if we gave them the first letter. My name (Carl) was guessed as Clint! Another colleague (Kim) was somehow chosen to be Kitty and Rebecca became Ruby. For years after the three of us refered to each other by those names much to the bemusment of the rest of the staff.

37. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 27, 2010

My name is on my web page, the district email links, the kids' schedules, the grade reports. A good number of them know me outside of school through church, the neighborhood, or just from me being a native to the town, so they know my name.

It's no big secret. They never call me by it.

38. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 27, 2010

My name is on my ID badge, first and last. I have an unsual name, and the kids tend to make a big deal over it. The majority of the time, I am able to make them realize they aren't supposed to use my first name while at school. Outside of school, it's a totally different situation, and it's ok by me.

39. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

Same here. Our children call us all by first names as well. I love it. If I ever taught where someone had to call me Mrs. So-and-so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. But, then again, I'm not much of a heirarchical person and part of the reason I chose to go into Montessori is that it doesn't have that heirarchy involved in the school culture and the children experience school life differently than in a traditional environment.

It's kinda funny because most of the kids don't know my last name! :lol:

40. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

What is quite amusing is that I keep the register of teachers qualified to drive the school minibuses (minivans to you). I have to keep a photocopy of their driver's licences! many of them have sworn me to secrecy about their names, not just to the kids but to the staff as well! There are some bizarre middle names out there!