First Month Funnies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 6, 2013.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 6, 2013

A student handed in Social Studies assignments to me in English hoping I would notice. Seriously? He ADMITTED thinking I wouldn't notice. I choose to laugh about this one because this kid just doesn't know me yet. What else is making us chuckle while shaking our collective heads?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

This one's a First Day Funny:

My daughter met her new English teacher the other day. The teacher was asking who had a sibling that she had taught, and my daughter raised her hand.

The teacher smiled and said; "Oh, yeah, sure. I remember your brother... you have his eyes!!!"

Note: her brother was adopted from Korea; she was not. She may have his feet, his nose, his hands, whatever. But she does NOT have his eyes.

I understand completely It was a one day week and she was trying to bond with her kids. I know how hard it is to pull up a mental picture of a kid you taught 2 years ago. And I think it's sweet. But I've been chuckling about it for the past 2 days.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 6, 2013

I wore a sequined shirt to work one day. One of my kinders asked another teacher, "Did you see Miss Zelda's disco shirt?!"

:lol:

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

Love it, Alice!

I talk with my hands, and have warned the students not to walk up close beside me when I am talking to anyone. Today, I needed to take my own advice as one of my students narrowly missed me not once, but twice--once with his right hand as I approached his group, then with his left as I walked past him to the student on his left.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 6, 2013

Today we tackled our first writing session. I always dread starting independent writing with grade 1s because someone always cries! No one cried this time and one little boy was very confidently writing letters on his paper and drew a picture as well. I asked him what he wrote and he said, "I don't know! I can't read!" Oh well, it's a start!

7. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

:lol:

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 6, 2013

Oh, that's awesome! What a great line!

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2013

These are funny, but I think this one is the funniest!

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

My favorite is the little guy who told me "numblebees die when they sting you."
    Numblebees, so cute!!

11. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

I don't have one, but my sister had one that makes me tickled.

She had her kinders on the rug one of the first days of school, and she was showing pictures of her family - her daughter, her husband, her dogs. She then invited the kids to talk about their families. She had a few students that shared some of the pets they have at home, and suddenly a little girl chimes in and says, "I have a cat named D***i*!" My sister said she just smiled and said, "Ohhh, that's nice." I probably would have lost it.

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 7, 2013

One of the things I always share with my classes on the first day is my fanatic love of the Cincinnati Bengals. I always follow that up with jokes that I will find out who the Steelers/Ravens fans are and talk trash and that "Steelers fans don't pass."

In one of my classes, I had 5 or 6 Steelers fans, so we joked about their "automatic E"s at the end of the class. The next class (2 days later), EVERY single one of them proudly came in wearing Steelers t-shirts or jerseys and pointed at their chests every time I walked near their chairs. I about died laughing. That's going to be a fun class.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

No big funnies from me, but I can tell I highly amuse my new ELL student who has very limited English comprehension. I talk a lot with my hands and can get rather animated and this makes her smile a lot.

Alice, yours had me cracking up.

14. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Sep 7, 2013

In my 5th grade I had a slow reluctant reader who volunteered to read from a passage to the class. He had a booger hanging from his nose.

Two girls in the front whispered about it, so I handed him a tissue. It ended up on his forehead.

His best friend who is ADHD noticed he had something on his head, walked up and took it off.... realized it was a booger and when he saw it had a very expresive face and said.....ewww.... he then grabbed hand sanitizer and washed his hands while saying "Boogers happen, we all have them"

I said "Now that is a good friend" and we all laughed. :wub:

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2013

Wow, what a friend. I can imagine that ending so differently .....

I don't have one personally, but my sister does. Sitting on the rug with kinders, one little boy asked, "Is tomorrow the future?" He probably wanted to know if he had to come back to school another day.

I love all these bon mots from the mouths of babes. And not-so-little ones, too.

16. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

oh my gosh I am laughing so much. Keep 'em coming :lol:

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2013

I teach an elective called Contemporary Affairs, mostly Juniors and Seniors. The first day, I was describing the course and saying that we would be studying world news event.

A Senior asked, "I thought we would be talking about sex and relationships?" I asked him why and he responded that he didn't know the word "contemporary" but knew an "affair" was when you cheated on your girl. So I asked, "You need someone to teach you about sex? You don't know what to do?"

Everyone laughed and this is one of the reasons I prefer teaching HS - I can joke around with them a little more.

18. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 7, 2013

I don't know how funny this is, but it cracked me up a little.

I teach in a classroom where 22 out of 23 students are African American, and I am white. A few days ago, one little girl just kept reaching for my hair and touching it. After the third time of asking her to stop, I asked her why she kept wanting to touch my hair. She says, "Mrs.Giggles. I just love how soft your hair is."