First Math Test

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kenny2teach, Sep 1, 2007.

1. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

My kids took their first real test this week...and I now feel like I must be the worst teacher ever. I have 22 kids, 4 failed...7 got A's and the rest got between and 82-60. I felt like we were on track and they would all do well...but that wasn't the case. Maybe they weren't used to the format of the test. I sent home a practice the night before and got most of them back. Should I schedule a make up? Or just let this be a lesson to study and try harder? Or is this a normal average?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 1, 2007

What were you testing so early in the year? Most math programs review what was taught in the first grade during the first few weeks of school. If what you tested was all review from first grade you need to stop the 2nd grade work and go back and review the first grade curriculum. One of the things I do is to take the last 3 tests in the first grade math curriculum and administer it to my class. This gives me a good indication where everyone is. It tells me what I need to review with the class before I go gungho into the 2nd grade curriculum.

4. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

It was review, I think...counting on a number line, counting forward counting back. Greater than less than...counting by 10. It is a new math program they have switched to Real Math from Saxon, maybe that was the problem.

5. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

oh and it's not that early...I live in AZ we are going into our 5th week of school.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

That seems like a lot to test- even for the 5th week of school. Have you done assessments for each skill along the way? Second graders generally don't know 'how to take tests'...Reveiw review review...give a few 'non stressful, don't count practice tests' and then try again...

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

I usually try to give my practice tests a few days before the test to give me time to take it up with the students; it helps me to see who may need extra work on certain concepts and makes the students more comfortable with the testing format.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2007

The past week was my first week of school. We had a test on Friday on patterns and odd/even numbers. Our program uses a test taking skills paper that we complete together before the test. The kids can use the test taking skills to use on the test to remember how to show their work on the concepts covered on the test.

You mentioned you did a review sheet before the test. Maybe you could make another review paper with a model of each type of problem to complete before the test until they get the hang of things.