First Long Term - Questions...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by my58vw, Nov 15, 2006.

1. my58vw

my58vw Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

Hello all,

Today was my first day of my first long term in the new district I am working for. I have no idea on why the teacher is gone (she would not say at all, typical I think), but the sub coordinator thinks she may not come back, or be gone for the rest of the semester. Right now I am long term until December 1st, and possably longer.

How typical is this? (The teacher just taking off without telling their students).

BTW I love the district, and in particular the high school I am at. I am there everyday this year (only maybe 4 days at the other high school), and the faculity is starting to really warm up to me. I am also working with an extra circular group on campus. I am hoping to get hired on as an intern next year (Science/Chemistry/Physics/Earth Science).

Thanks as always.

3. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 15, 2006

If they're not saying anything about why she/he is gone, there most likely is a problem with her performance as a teacher or a major health issue she/he wants to keep quiet.

You could very well BE the next teacher hired in the space. Just do the best job you know how to do. Good luck

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

I don't think it's typical, but it does happen. I did two long-term subbing jobs. In one case the teacher was off for maternity leave, so that was pretty obvious why she was out. The other was just out for 12 weeks. "Illness" was the reason given, but nobody knew why.

I was out for 45 days one year, and I wasn't able to tell anybody. I got really sick, really fast, and was hospitalized 50 miles from home. It was sudden, so I really didn't have time to tell anyone, although DH did go to work and tell a few people in a couple of days.

Enjoy the job! My two long-term jobs led to me getting a full-time position with that school.