First job, third grade, spelling tests

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Teacher 58, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Teacher 58

Teacher 58 Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I have just been hired for my first teaching assignment. I will be teaching 3rd grade. School starts tomorrow. How many words should my weekly spelling test include? How much time, daily,should be devoted to learning/practicing cursive? Thanks

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

Re:

Have you looked at any of your curricular materials? Does your district have an adopted program for spelling? The first thing that you need to do is find out what is available to you. Then, look at your state and district's "Standards and Benchmarks. Finally look at how spelling is to be assessed and recorded on report cards.

My district uses a program that deals with the high frequency words. We don't "test" words per se as in there is no list handed out on Monday and tested on Friday. We "test" students in their writing such as in a Cloze test and/or dictation. The Rebecca Sitton Spelling Program is definitely a plus to work with. I really like that kids are made accountable for their spelling in their writings instead of just memorizing words for a test.

Good luck...
    ~*Robin*~

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 15, 2005

I am also teaching third grade this year. My spelling test consists of 17 of a same family. So one week we will be doing all long O sounds. The program that I use is from Evan Moore, it is called Building Spelling Skills. I also have made games to study the spellings so that the students aren't just having to use rote memorization. If you are stuck for word lists, you could always look at Words Their Way, which is basically what I've done with my own spelling program.

As mentioned above, make sure you look at your report card to find out what you need to be grading. Our Grade Level Equivalents are vary vague when it comes to spelling--in fact, I don't think there are any for spelling. You will want to check that out as well.

Oh, and I don't introduce our first spelling unit until the second week of school, so you could always use this week to decide what you want to do. Good luck with the new year!

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

When I taught 3rd grade the kids had a spelling consumable book, we spent about 15 min. at the most per day. I also check for spellings in their daily work-that is where I believe it is most important, and is it carrying over? They had 15 words, I believe. I do 10 in 2nd grade now. As for cursive-were they already taught it in 2nd? In my district they are, so 3rd grade cursive is a review-with one day spent on two or three letters that are similar (t and l are both tall, etc.) and linking. If it is new, all I do at first is introduce all the lowercase-2 per day, again doing similar letters together. Then they link llll tttt, but not with other letters. Then we do capitals, and they learn to link with lowercase-so making small words-but I model EVERYTHING!!!! If you need more specifics, let me know. :)
    Beth

6. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I taught 3rd grade last year. We had 15 spelling words and 4 bonus words. The spelling words were part of a family. I picked out the bonus words from the story in reading class.
    Good Luck!

7. Teacher 58

Teacher 58 Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

Thank you so much.

8. Teacher 58

Teacher 58 Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I love this. Thank you.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

I am also teaching 3rd grade this year! I think we have about 15 words and a few sentences or extra review words.

Good luck! hope your first day went well:)

10. Teacher 58

Teacher 58 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Thank you. It has been insane being hired so late and getting very little support of any kind, so, again, thanks.

11. Teacher 58

Teacher 58 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Thank you. I really appreciate the guidance.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2005

13. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

When I taught 3rd grade (8 years) I used the Most Frequently Used Word list from the book A Reading Teacher's Book of Lists. I used 12 to 13 of those per week. I started with the second list of words. Then I did 2 word families per week, both starting with the same vowel. For example:
    -ake and -ale. Then I had bonus words that were thematic in some way. I tested them on 10 of the list words, 5 words from each family - for a total of 20 words. I would differentiate for kids based on ability. Some kids did all the bonus words, required though everyone could try them on the test. Word families were required for all learners.