First Interview

Discussion in 'General Education' started by soleil00, Jun 7, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

Well, the title says it all. Against all odds with the Texas education system up in arms right now, I got an interview for a job my first year out of college.

I am extremely nervous about it, being as it is my first one ever for education, so I wanted to ask here for any advice, tips, hints, etc from yall that are experienced with this!

I really am panicking about what to say, if I'll sound stupid, if I will say something to make me lose the job.... the principal really likes me (I student taught there) so I'm not worried about her perception of me as a person. I'm worried about what will come out of my panicked mouth! :rolleyes:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

You won't be the first nervous person that they'll interview. I've sat on many interview committees, and I'm always nervous to be asking the questions, in case that makes you feel any better.

Student teaching will be a plus. We've hired several of our student teachers.

Don't be afraid to ask clarifying questions, and don't be afraid to admit that you're unsure of something. We've asked people questions about things, and they've tried to make it up . . . and it was really obvious.

Good luck!

4. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

Good luck! :)

Where in Texas do you live? I just graduated too and I am job searching, hoping to be called for interviews!

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

Thank you! That helps a little to ease the nerves! I do remember that my professors always stressed that, don't ever make up a response. They would tell us to admit you don't know but don't be weakened by it, take your uncertainty and build on it by explaining a situation that is similar that you know what to do in. So I guess I did learn something in college lol!

I'm in the Midland/Odessa area, which is crunched for jobs so I'm shocked that I even have an interview here. Good luck to you too! This year is a tough one to graduate in for sure.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 7, 2011

Good Luck :) when is the interview and for what position?

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

Take a couple of seconds to process the question your being asked then give your answer. Take deep breaths!

8. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I agree. Deep breaths and take it slow. Talk enough but don't ramble. You will do fine - good luck!!

9. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

First off: RELAX. If you go in there nervous and jittery it could be perceived in a bad way.

10. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

Good luck and don't get too stressed out. There are financial crunches now, and they'll continue for a bit into the future. But realize, even if you don't get the job, we're on the verge of the biggest retirement push in history.

In fact, it's already started, those boomers are hitting 62+ and there's going to be A LOT of positions to fill.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

Good luck!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

Good luck!

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

Good Luck! If you haven't already make sure you look at the Job Seekers section. There is a wealth of information that really helped me become more proficient at interviewing. I was so at ease and prepared for my interview that even now (almost 5 years later) my AP says mine is still the best interview he ever sat in on.

14. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

Best of luck to you! The interviewers will expect everyone to be a little nervous. Personally, I am a little leary of a person that comes in and seems to know everything and be so at ease. It's a fine line between being confident and being over confident.

Please let us know how it goes and again, good luck!!

15. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jun 8, 2011

I too have been on many interview committees. I'm always impressed by the person that directly answers the questions. In my experience, there is always the question on why you feel best suited for the job. Don't be afraid to toot your own horn here. Tell them why you are best qualified. If you have special skills or interests, throw those in. If you have leadership class, yearbook skills, interests, etc. that would benefit the school/kids, list those and make it clear that you would be interested in helping there as well. I look over interviewees who don't give me hard facts when answering this question.

When you are asked what background experiences make you qualified - list them and be specific about how each experience has prepared you for this job.

If this is for a teaching position, you may be asked about your classroom management styles. Give the committee hard facts on how you deal with kids and what your style of discipline is. You can even give examples on how you dealt with a kid(s) from your student teaching.

You'll most likely be asked about knowledge of the content standards and how you make sure you teach them. You could be asked about student interventions and how you would support a struggling student, or about monitoring student progress. Again, be specific and give examples. If you have a good method of monitoring student progress, explain it.

In my experience the individual that gives good solid answers to the questions and uses examples, is more likely to be considered for the position than a person who gives generic ang vague answers.

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

Thursday (tomorrow) morning and I have no clue what position! It's a Pre-K - 1 school, and I know there are openings in K and 1st so one of those two :lol:

To everyone else:

Thank yall so much for the little votes of confidence, advice and all the good luck wishes! I'll definitely read over everything suggested, take some notes, and get prepared tonight so I don't go in there completely unprepared and nervous to the point of being unable to answer!

17. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

I have an interview tomorrow, too! We should compare notes at the end of the day ;)

The principal at the school where I was an LTS gave me these bits of advice:
    1. Make sure you shake hands when you enter and leave. He said he always questioned the people that didn't shake hands.
    2. Whenever asked a question about how you would/did handle something, ALWAYS give specifics from your previous experience. Theorizing what you would do is okay, but speaking from what you've DONE is the best.

Hope that helps a little! :)

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2011

Someone above said DON'T RAMBLE! I think that is great advice. I was recently asked to be part of an interview committee and one of the candidates talked waaaaaay too much. She told long stories about every question we asked and she ended up getting too off topic during each response. By the time we finished the interviews, we definitely knew who were weren't going to hire!

19. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 9, 2011

That is definitely something that I have to work on!

Thank you guys!

I am off to my interview! Let's hope I nail this one my first time!