First Interview!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Beth2004, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 30, 2005

I'm so psyched! I got a call today from the principal at the school where I student taught and she set up an interview with me for Tuesday. She said that she's setting up a pool of people and wants to get started with the interviews now so it looks like I'm going to be one of the first to be interviewed. It's not for a specific position because last I heard she didn't know for sure what money she was going to have, but is looking to open a new fourth and a new fifth grade....it's a brand new school and wasn't filled to capacity this past school year. I loved it there when I was student teaching and it would honestly be my first choice so I'm pretty excited that it was the first place to grant me an interview. I know that this doesn't mean that I have the job, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's nice to finally have my first interview and feel like I'm getting the ball rolling!! :) Wish me luck..I'm going to be really nervous! haha

Bethany

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 30, 2005

Just wanted to add a quick question....I know this has been discussed quite a bit on here, but I wanted to ask anyway. Do you think it's necessary that I wear a suit-jacket to the interview? Normally I wouldn't question it, but I only ask because I'm not going to be making a first impression and it's been anywhere between 85 and 95 degrees outside everyday so it's going to be warm!

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2005

I would go with the suit; you can always take the jacket off. Even though they know you, you're still making an impression on how you show up for the interview. Sounds like a great beginning! Fourth grade is wonderful.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 1, 2005

Can't help with that one. My interview for my current position was held in my pajamas. (It was a phone interview, he was in Georgia I was in Kentucky). Didn't even meet him until after I had accepted the job and moved down here.

6. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

I'm young (23) but I guess I am old fashioned when it comes to interviewing. I believe that even if you are familiar with the person you are interviewing with, you want to be at your best/most professional. I reccomend wearing a skirt/suit with closed toe shoes. It doesn't have to be black. I stayed away from black. When I first went shopping for interview outfits I automatically thought black pant suit so that is what I bought. Then I had a friend come from an interview where they told her she was too stiff wearing a power suit. That comment made me rethink things so I went out and bought a nice skirt suit that is in a femine/young color. I call it my lucky suit and wore it to my 1 st round interviews with the districts. I had really good success landing a job in a tough market... I honestly think the lucky suit had something to do with it. Whatever you wear, just make sure that you feel good in it and the outfit makes a statement about your personality. Remember to stay positive and focused. I'm sure your interview will go great!

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 2, 2005

I would definitely wear the suit jacket! I have been on both sides of the table and when I was doing the interviewing, the candidates who took the time to look professional seemed to show more self confidence and more professionalism than those that didn't. Good Luck! :)

8. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2005

I would definitely wear a jacket. I wore a dress with a jacket for my first interview and landed the job! Never had to go to another interview. I don't know if the jacket had anything to do with it or not, but it sure didn't hurt. Even if you have met with them before, interviewers know that on the day that they interview you, you are going to look the best that you ever will, after all that is when you want to get the job. So you should dress the most professional way that you can!

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2005

Well, I went out to department stores last night looking for a nice, not too expensive suit to wear. I bought a black jacket that fits me really well and matches a pair of black pants that I have perfectly. I really wasn't sure about the matching pants in the store, really just not my style. I want to feel comfortable so that I can relax and not feel the need to fidget in my seat! Now I'm just trying to figure out what to wear underneath the jacket. I have a few button-down collared sirts, but I don't want to look too "stiff." I'm going back and forth trying things on trying to figure it out! haha

10. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 3, 2005

If your doing black than I would do a bright color underneath. What about a nice cami, brightly colored with luxurious fabric?

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2005

I'm definitely thinking about a bright color as well. I've heard that bright colors are a no-no for interviews, but I'd feel really boring if I didn't wear at least something with some color! :) I have a nice purple sleeveless shirt that looks pretty nice underneath. I'm thinking that I might wear that.

12. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 3, 2005

go for red. It's a power color that shows you know what you mean and are confidant in yourself. (don't know if I believe that but black and red do go well together.)

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 3, 2005

my suit is black and white, sort of a plaid/check (but very nice) with pale pink lines running occasionally through it... I either wear a pink shirt (bright) or a deeper (but still bright) blue... usually pink for first interviews, cuz I like it better, and blue for a 2nd interview so I don't wear the EXACT same thing... but it's a great suit because I could wear LOTS of colors which would be totally fine. ;) hehe... but not red. ;)

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 4, 2005

I'm pretty happy with the outfit I've chosen....black jacket, black pants with a purple sleeveless shirt. Now I'm just getting all of my copies of my resume, recommendation letters, and transcripts together to bring with me so that everything's ready tomorrow morning. I'm really nervous mainly because I'm not sure of who's going to be there...whether it's going to be just the principal and vice principal that I already know well or if the asst. superintendent is going to be there too. I'm really excited at the prospect of possibly getting a position with them, though! :)

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 4, 2005

Beth, you know the district and some of the people you'll be talking with... just be yourself and I'm sure you'll do fine!

Good Luck!

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2005

Good luck, Beth! My best tip on interviewing is to take a few moments after their question before you start to talk; it's okay to gather your thoughts and organize your ideas before you speak. Let us know how it goes!!

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2005

Well, the interview went well. It was short because like she said, she knows me and I know the school so my interview would be shorter than anyone else's. I found out that I was interviewing for a fourth grade position which would be IDEAL! My classroom would be right next door to the room I student taught in! haha There are four other people interviewing and the principal still isn't positive that someone from the district won't decide they want to transfer into that position. Soo..she said that she can't even give me a definite time-frame right now because once her interviews are done this week she has to call the superintendent to ask what her next move should be. She told me to go to the school dept. building to make sure they have all of my paperwork (tb results, physical, etc) because I can't be appointed unless they have all the paperwork so I think I've got a good shot!
    For anyone who's curious here's what she asked me:
    What type of classroom management plan would you put into place?
    How do you feel about parent communication? Making/receiving phone calls?
    Sell yourself. Why do you have to offer?
    I feel pretty good about my answers and she seemed pleased. :)

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 5, 2005

Beth I am happy to hear it went well. You will have to let us know what happens!

Oh I always try to wear a bright color under my black suit. I have a turquoise (sp?) blue cami I wear that makes my blue eyes pop! If I get called back for another interview I have another cami in an orange.

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2005

Oh, I will definitely keep you updated...especially if I get good news! :) I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I don't want to be really disappointed if i get a call saying they filled the position, but things do seem to be some-what in my favor. I mean, from the way she spoke to me, i don't think that any of the four other candidates student taught there and because I did I already know the school and staff very well. I even student taught in the fourth grade there so I know the curriculum well. Even if I dont get the job, though, I'm just happy that she thought enough of me to call me in for an interview. If she didn't like me she wouldn't have bothered calling. Like i said, I'll keep you updated...you'll know as soon as I do! haha

20. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 5, 2005

Good Luck-I hope you get it! :) Keep us posted!