First interview tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MathManTim, Mar 23, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I just got a call back from a charter school I spoke with at a job fair. They want to interview me tomorrow! (Gulp!)

Any last minute tips for a career-changer interviewing for his first teaching position?

MathManTim

3. palla

palla Companion

Mar 23, 2009

Awesome! Knock 'em dead!!!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

Hi Tim,

My first interview after changing careers - I remember it like it was yesterday. I tried to relate everything to teaching. Example: I managed teams of people who did not report to me. The school was a parent participation school, so my experience applied to managing parents to get the most good for the project (the class).

No idea if that even applies to you, but ...

I'll be sending you good vibes!! It is a great sign that they chose you for an interview!

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2009

I don't remember if you have done student teaching or not. If you haven't, don't focus on the weaknesses in your application--they already know those are there and since they are interviewing you, they do not feel they are deal breakers.

Focus on what different and unique skills you can bring to the table as a career switcher. You will do great!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

Good luck!! Take a look at the interview question threads and look at the general questions.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

Don't forget to ask the school some questions. Talking with a VP at my kids school, she related that they interviewed many propsective teachers for an elementary position. Only 1 candidate asked any questions about the school and its environment. Guess who got the job?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

Hi Tim!!

Don't stress about giving the one "right answer." They're looking more for a feel about what kind of a teacher you are than for a particular buzzword.

Also, don't be afraid to stop a second and think before you answer. This isn't Jeopardy!... it's OK to stop and consider what you're going to say.

Be ready to sell the idea of a career changer being sucessful in a classroom. Come up with a list of skills that will transfer. It's easy if you think about it; just about any career can transfer.

Expect some classroom management questions.

Good luck! Let us know if anything comes up tonight that you have trouble with!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 23, 2009

You've gotten some great advice already so I'm just going to say GOOD LUCK!!

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 23, 2009

Good luck Tim!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

Good luck Tim!!!! :D

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2009

Good luck Tim!!! :thumb:

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

Good luck!

14. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 24, 2009

First Interview Results

Thank you all for the well-wishing! The interview went quite well.

The school was interviewing a number of us. There was someone in front of me, and another person after me. They have several openings, so I may or may not have been in direct competition with them.

The interview had a fairly basic "getting to know you" feel. They asked me a few questions about my resume, and why I wanted to teach. They asked how my substitute teaching was going, and how I handled any classroom management issues. They seemed to agree with my observation that if you keep the class on task and maintain a confident attitude of "I'm in charge in this classroom", classroom management problems will generally be minimized.

They wanted to know if I felt confident enough in my subject knowledge to teach the full-spectrum of math courses, from pre-algebra through AP calculus. (I said yes.)

I also asked several questions. I had done some research on the school on the web, and I dropped that info into my questions: For example: "I saw that in your 5-year plan online that you plan on maintaining the size of each grade level at about 125 for the next few years. Do you foresee the school growing beyond that?"

I also mentioned that I had read how their basketball team had recently won their sectional--in the first year the school has even had a basketball team--and congratulated them.

In all, I think I did well. I felt confident and relaxed, and I think I did a decent job conveying my passion, knowledge, and enthusiasm. Looking back, there were no awkward silences in the interview. The interview lasted a little over half an hour, and they said they would definitely be contacting me again in about 2 weeks.

What surprised me:
    No one said anything about seeing my transcripts.
    No one said anything about letters of recommendation.
    No one said anything about seeing a sample lesson plan.
    No one asked about my philosophy of education.

Are these the issues that would be covered in a follow-up interview?

MathManTim

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

Tim-it sounds like the interview went REALLY well! They probably didn't ask to see your philosophy because they got most of it through the interview. The recommendations might come later.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

Is sounds like your interview went well. A lot of places don't care about your transcripts until your hired, they may just call your references or ask for the letters later and you may have to present a lesson later or they can just tell from the questions that they ask how you would plan a lesson.

17. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

Good luck!!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I agree it sounds like it went really well! I wouldn't worry about the stuff they didn't ask about....either they got enough info from the interview or they will get the info at a later time :) Good luck! Keep us posted!

19. palla

palla Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Sounds great, Tim!! I hope you hear something soon. Waiting is not easy.

Not sure about the transcripts and stuff. I had to send it all in when I applied with the district online. I am sure they will ask before offering a contract, though.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Yay, Tim!

I wouldn't worry about what wasn't covered, every school has their own "way" to do things.

Keep us posted! :)

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

It sounds like you did great! Good luck!! You showed a genuine interest in their school...that would impress me if I were on the hiring committee.