First interview tomorrow!! Advice please :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lady V, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Lady V

Lady V Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

Hello! I live in a district where the interviews and hiring are always done in late July up through the start of school. It is nerve wracking to say the least. Anyways! Last week I was calling schools and ended up talking to a principal on the phone and he asked me if I could come in tomorrow for an interview for 7th grade ELA. I am thrilled considering this is a month earlier than normal here! However, it is my very first interview and I do not want to mess anything up. I asked him if I needed to prepare anything and he said no, not to bring anything except my resume and also to email it to him. (back story-I have subbed at his school several times and was offered a long term maternity sub position there but had to turn down to do my student teaching)
    My degree is Masters in K-6 and 4-8. I have been studying the 7th grade standards so I can speak with some knowledge but I will admit I am very nervous as ALL my practicums and student teaching were in kindergarten, second, and third grades! (I also have done an interim in the third grade. -I was so blessed to be offered it and it started literally the day after my student teaching ended. Wonderful experience!)
    Can anyone offer guidance? I know that my town is VERY competitive. I am looking at all the schools and the furthest ones away are a little over an hour each way but would be honored and grateful if offered and would of course say 'Yes'! (I also have a Master in Business Administration with an emphasis in International Business--was thinking of explaining my passion for lifelong learning...?)
    Sorry for rambling,-I am very excited and nervous about this opportunity tomorrow. I welcome any advice and positive thoughts! Thank you!!

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 13, 2016

Sounds like a great opportunity! I would be prepared to explain why you want to teach older kids, given your experience is with younger kids as you mentioned.

I'm sure others will have additional, likely better, advice as well. I saw in another thread a great suggestion to reply to the "any questions" at the end with "What is your vision for the school?" which I think is a wonderful question.

Good luck!

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 13, 2016

Make sure you know the district really well. Be prepared to ask them questions about their programs so they know you did some research. I know you did a long term subbing so they know you BUT DO NOT GO IN LIKE YOU KNOW THEM. My principal hates that. She loves hiring within but she sees an interview as serious and there should be no presumptions. Be you. Be honest and tell them when you do not know something but that you are eager to learn. I am sure you will do GREAT!

5. Lady V

Lady V Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

Thank you for the advice both of you! My kids have gone to school here for 11 years so I know a lot but not nearly everything and I will make sure to let them know I am ready to learn! I know realistically this will not be the job I get but I am so excited for the opportunity. I just don't want to miss anything important or that could stand out. I loved the ending question I saw in another thread! Do you all think it is all right to let him know it is my first interview and I am nervous?

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 14, 2016

I think I wouldn't mention that it's your first interview. Lots of people are nervous in interviews, I wouldn't call attention to it. Just do your best and hopefully you'll get into the swing of the interview fairly quickly.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 14, 2016

When I was interviewing I would close with I am not really the best salesman of myself, I am a teacher. I care about kids and working hard to do all I can to help them grow.

8. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jun 14, 2016

My principal told me he was interested in me because of how I incorporated technology in my classroom. Apart from that it was a lot about my teaching style/philosophy. They asked about how I plan on differentiating instruction for my students. I teach 8th Intensive ELA. I also talked about my willingness to work with parents. It worked like a charm.

9. Lady V

Lady V Rookie

Jun 15, 2016

Thank you everyone! It went wonderfully. I felt at ease and very comfortable speaking with him. HIs questions were great and I feel like it went very well. I know that this interview will make me better for the next and so on. Thank you so much!

10. Lady V

Lady V Rookie

Jun 15, 2016

UPDATE!!! I got a call this morning and I GOT THE JOB!!!!! Thank you so much for all of your advice!!!

anon55, mckbearcat48, MrsC and 2 others like this.
  11. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 15, 2016

Congratulations! That is great news, and I'm sure it's a relief to have things settled so early in the summer (earlier than you expected).

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 15, 2016

Congrats! My first job was 7th grade ELA. It's a fun age group!

13. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 15, 2016

Congrats!

14. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 15, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  15. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 15, 2016

Congratulations!