First Interview in Years...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by S Dubb, May 13, 2013.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

May 13, 2013

Greetings everybody. I've been employed for just about eight years in elementary education, and I've started applying to other districts this year. I was fortunate enough to receive an interview, but I am very much "out of the game."

What are some things I should bring with me when interviewing? I assume documents I've made (bellwork, homework, tests, etc.), notes from parents, items I send home like newsletters, photos of my students working on engaging activities...

Am I missing anything? Thanks so much!

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 13, 2013

It would be efficient if you organized your documents into a portfolio. One thing I would be curious about if I were sitting in your interview is what professional development you have done recently. Common Core, perhaps? I'm not very familiar with elem. initiatives/programs, but hopefully you follow me.

4. eireannash

eireannash Rookie

May 14, 2013

I interviewed for a few months and landed my current position. This is my 2nd year and due to moving I have been interviewing since April and was just offered a position last week in a new district. I always ask if I need to bring anything, but usually they say no or if I want to bring something, I can.

I have never once brought anything other than myself. My portfolio...nope. Samples of lessons...nope. I do have an online portfolio that has some info on it that I send in emails to principals after applying, but that is it. I have never once felt like I needed anything. I always try to give examples when I answer each interview question and since you have a lot of experience you should be all set with that.

I rather wow someone with my words and answers and be able to tell them examples instead of having no flow in a conversation and them feeling the need to look at paper.

Just my thoughts : )

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2013

I always brought my portfolio to interviews but on my last one they did not ask to see it. I did get the job without showing it to them but I don't think bringing it just in case would hurt. I always felt better carrying something though

6. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

May 14, 2013

Thank you all for the input so far. I'm sure I'll end up bringing some sort of portfolio with me, even if I think I won't need it or don't end up using it. Doesn't hurt to be prepared.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 14, 2013

I brought my portfolio with me even though I was told I didn't need to. I referred to it during my interview and my p looked through it and then I was hired. He made a comment to me this year how that made me stand out, despite him acknowledging that he said it wasn't necessary. I included my philosophy (1 page) and several different lessons with the lesson plans and activities along with reflections. I also included unit plans . I think a portfolio can only help, can't hurt