First interview ever

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Jul 30, 2015.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

I thought this will not happen this year, but only 4 weeks after getting my CE - teacher of Mathematics, I will have my first interview next week. Public school system.

I would appreciate any advice you offer, as this will not be only my first ever teacher interview but also my first interview in quite some time. I am staying objective- will do my best, but not putting much hope in it. I understand that I will most likely go against experienced teachers and my chances are slim, but please do help if you have any pointers.

Thanks!

...so excited

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 30, 2015

Be enthusiastic, be yourself -- you'll do fine. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 30, 2015

Study up on the school/district

Learn demographics
    Mission/goals

So far every interview I have been on asked:

Describe how you accommodate or differentiate for EL/sped/Gate students

How has common core influenced your teaching?

Classroom management
    Communication with parents

Goodluck

5. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 6, 2015

Just had my first teacher interview ever. After not sleeping the whole week- it turned out to be such a good experience. I met with the Principal and Vice P- they had 6 standard questions, which to my surprise I was able to give nice and enthusiastic answers, due to AtoZ forum topics, I read.

1. How would you teach Math according to Common Core Standards?
    2. Name one of your strengths as a teacher
    3. How would you handle a disruptive student
    4. How do you feel about re-testing?
    5. Classroom management
    6. Behavior management

It was funny at one point the P asked if I had children, and then added, because you should have children, I rarely meet people who show such love for kids ...Made me feel very nice :)

Hopefully they call me for a demo lesson. On the downside, it is a tough school district in NJ. They are failing their Math assessments and are currently looking for 3 Math teachers- I know it's a tough situation. I know I have nothing to think about yet, but I did not like the area, however I liked the P and I understand they are doing their best to change these kids lives...On the other hand I am CE-Math with no teacher experience, do I get to pick and choose- probably not....

Anyway, I interview well is my summary :)

6. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 6, 2015

...and just got the demo lesson call..Going in on Monday...

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 6, 2015

That's great! What are you going to do for your demo lesson? :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2015

Good luck today!

9. teacherld

teacherld Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

Good luck

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2015

Hope the demo went well. I know that this would not be your "dream district", but few are ready for that dream position right out of the gate. You can take a job like this and learn from it even as you strengthen your teaching skills. Who knows, you may find that you love the challenge. If not, no one will question your decision to leave.

Best of luck - the first year is very busy for the AR teacher, but the rewards are significant. You will walk away with your standard certificate and experience. That is very valuable.

11. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

Thank you all, it got pushed over to Wednesday am...Unfortunately it looks like even if I get an offer I can't take it. I was ready to embrace the district, actually this bothered me the least, I was even ready to take the 5-digit paycut-all this was expected. However, it comes down to logistics and not having any child care that early in the am for my sons.

The school is an hour away without traffic, and I have no family around, so tonight I'll have to make a decision to go to the demo or not waste their time....

My heart is broken....

12. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 27, 2015

Well,couple of weeks after suffering that hit to my heart, I will start as High School Equivalency Math Teacher at the local Community College. I will also teach computer classes there. Pretty happy about it as it will give me some teaching experience and hopefully help next year, when all my kids will be in school and I'll be more flexible.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2015

Congrats on the job gkis, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.