First Interview...Eeek! :o)

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by MusicMaker, Jul 19, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

No matter how hard I pray and *try* not to be nervous...I still am, I guess I just have to accept that that's the way I am. At least I got some practice in.

I think it went well. They asked questions about myself, meeting needs of diverse students, setting up a language arts program, approach to teaching math, types of assessment (for math and reading), classroom management, communication with parents, and collaboration.

I think I bombed the approaches to teaching language arts and math though. They asked what would I do if I was teaching the alphabet and a student was just not getting "phonics." So, I stumbled a little bit and stressed the importance of reinforcement, individual attention, and reading books to the kids. For setting up a math program, I referenced that I would use the schools curriculum, using math manipulatives.

Apparently, it is a hard school to work at because of the low income/poverty level...the kids that come in have never been in a classroom setting, might not know much english, and the parents don't know english. Parental involvement is also hard because many are working second jobs just to be able to support their family.

Anyway, I think that I got across the point that I truly care about each student, that I collaborate well with others, hard-worker, and am familiar with good classroom management strategies.

The school that I interviewed at definitely seems like a place where a person like me is needed. Although, the principal said that I'll definitely need "thick skin" to work at this school. We'll see. I'll find out on Tuesday. I'm not putting all my marbles in one bag though, I'm looking at other places.

So, I really want to be prepared for the next interview...can anyone help with these questions?

• How would you set up a language arts program?
    • How would you approach teaching math?
    • What types of assessment (for math and reading) do you use?
    • What if a student is just not getting it? Especially a kindergartener who you are trying to teach the alphabet to and is not getting phonics?
    • What if the student can count from one to ten, but can't get 1 to 1. For instance, he has two pencils in front of him, but can recognize that?
    • How do you meet the needs of diverse students?
    • How would you communicate with parents who don't know much english? At another school, we translate all correspondence into spanish. and collaboration.

3. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Follow-Up Letter

At the interview, it was the principal and two other kindergarten teachers.

Should I send 1 follow up letter and mention the two teachers that came in, or send 3 individual letters?

4. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

You could just send one letter and mention the other two. Or if you remember all the individuals names then you can send three letters.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

I would send three notes. You include everybody when working as a team.

A Spanish talking dictionary would help.

6. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I would send all three letters.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

I would send all three, because you never know who will be making the decision!

8. heathers

heathers Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

As far as assessments go I always said I would keep portfolios and monitor student progress that way, it was a good way to assess each child's growth throughout the year. As far as a child not getting "it" we had intervention groups where I worked with 2-3 children during center time and did really intense phonics with magnetic letters, board games, and blending and segmenting words, as well as rhyming. This seemed to work

9. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 19, 2006

I would send 3 letters if you know all of their names.

For the interview questions that you are asking for help on, what grade level would you be gearing those questions to?

10. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

this would be for kindergarten.

I want to make the letters more personal, but I'm having a hard time thinking of something different to say for each, especially the two teachers that sat in for the interview...

11. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

My suggestion on the letters:

Try and recall something they seemed engaged by during the interview that you discussed and restate some of that while adding additional things you might not of thought of then. From the research I did on interviewing and thank you letters this was always stressed in the articles and magazines. According to the interviewing experts it helps the people you interviewed with recall the interview to that positive point and shows that you in fact do have an interest and it is not just a job to you.

Good Luck!