First interview before I graduate and not happy

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Toy_03, May 4, 2011.

1. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

May 4, 2011

So I went on my first interview at a Private school (Christian)...I was very nervous and I felt like I kept repeating myself with the questions, but it was great practice. :)

The principal was VERY NICE and he showed me arounf the school and then he told me that pay and I was like :eek:hmy:

I went through 4 years (actually more) of college (change majors--Chemistry major to Ele. Edu)...it took a year to pass my tests and this is what I get? :( ($22,000)

I kinda knew that school was not for me...its very religiuos like...If that is the correct term

They did say they will call me back for a second interview---But I deçided that I dont want to be at the school cause of the pay....So what do I do?

Should I go or say No thanks when they call? :help:

God knows I want to get in a public school....Im just confused...a couple teachers left that school he said (I wonder way :huh: )

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 4, 2011

Private school pay is well documented to be less (sometimes far less) than public school pay, which is also why public school jobs tend to be more competitive. You have to weigh your options obviously, but you may find that even that job is preferable to no steady job, or a sub job while you find full-time employment in a public school. In any case, everyone's situation is different. I don't think it would slam the door on any jobs out there right now, but I definitely wouldn't sign a contract either until you have a go at more traditional jobs.

Good luck!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

Even $22k is more money than you'd make working in a lot of other fields these days. I wouldn't turn down this job if it were offered, but I would continue actively looking for the following year.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2011

:yeahthat: I agree with this.

However, I would think a better reason to turn down the job would be that the school is "very religious" if you are not (I'm not trying to judge, just going by what you said)...I can imagine that might cause an uncomfortable working environment for you...:2cents:

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 4, 2011

Geee, I WISH I could get an interview at a private school. The last one I applied for had over 200 applicants and they couldn't interview everyone.

In this economy, I'm surprised anyone is going to be picky about what job they want, especially if they haven't even graduated from college yet. My husband's friend's grandmother gave her grandson good advice. She said, "DO NOT be picky about what job you want. You take what you're offered and you grow and learn from it. Then, once you have experience, then you can start looking for a better job."

Now, if you think you are really not a good fit at the school, then that's a different issue. But don't turn down a job purely based on the fact that it doesn't pay as much as you envisioned it would.

7. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 4, 2011

If you wanted a high paying career straight out of college, I would have suggested sticking with chemistry.

As others have mentioned, I would recommend not dismissing a job offer too quickly. However, in this particular situation, if you don't find that you embrace and can identify with the religious beliefs/teachings of the school (and given that it's a Christian school, I'm not sure why you'd be surprised?) then I would advise against taking the position.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 4, 2011

I think that if their religious views and yours differ greatly, then that school really might not be a good fit. Their beliefs will be embedded in everything that occurs at that school, and what they expect from you. If I were you, I would put great thought into this before deciding anything either way.

9. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 4, 2011

I understand completely.

Depending on where you live, $22,000 a year may or may not be enough to get by. Who am I to judge whether or not that is sufficient for you? I complain about my own salary and it's several thousand more than that (public school).

Only you know whether or not this is acceptable pay. I assume that you a.) do not feel that the pay is equivalent to your skill set and/or b.) have created an extensive budget and have determined that this job will not meet your needs.

I agree that the religious foundations at the school may be a problem. If it makes you uncomfortable now, I can't imagine it would be less of an issue if you were to teach there.

You're left with a gamble... do you take a "safe" bet even though it's low paying and the environment may not suit you as a teacher or do you hold out for the elusive better job which may or may not come your way.

The question that comes to mind is... if you find yourself without a teaching job in the fall, will you find a non-teaching job that pays more than $22,000 or will you regret not taking the position?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

Would you regret not taking this job if you get no other offers?

Didn't you know it was a religious school before you interviewed? If private, religious schools are not going to be a fit for you, dont waste your time, or that of the interviewers, by applying.

11. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

May 4, 2011

I do see everybody point...ad goodpoints you make....the school is really nice..I guess I need to stop complaining and at least be thankful that I got an interview! After thinking about I may take th job but also look for something better. :) ok thanks everyone!

12. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 4, 2011

If you are new, I would suggest going at least for the second interview. That's valuable experience and may give you another feel for the school. You may decide it's not so bad and you may decide it definitely not for you.

Best of luck whichever route you take.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

If you take the job, you should stick by your commitment. :2cents:

Don't take it, though, if you can't respect the religious aspect of the school. The kids and families deserve someone who is committed to their philosophy.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 4, 2011

I don't understand why you would apply for a job that you knew was not for you. Part of job searching is learning about the schools before you apply and researching the schools more thoroughly after you get the interview. Just this past week, I turned down an interview after learning more about a school and realizing I would not be a good fit. (I had a screening interview at a job fair).

Having said that, other posters have given you great advice. Ultimately, you have to be ok with whatever you decide. Personally, if you already know you would not be a good fit, let them know so maybe someone else can fill your spot. I don't want to sound like a loon but I feel like someone in the universe knows what we did and hopefully we will get another opportunity that we are better suited for. Kind of what comes around goes around type of thing. :) Good luck to you!

15. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 4, 2011

That's true, but sometimes you need to get a vibe from the school. I've interviewed at some that I knew wouldn't click with me but I never would have known that from any of the research I did prior to interviewing. I also took a job and totally misread that vibe and it was a miserable year until I could resign and move on.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 4, 2011

I agree, if you are going to take the job, your job search ends immediately.

17. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 4, 2011

I personally wouldn't take a job at a school that had no opportunity for tenure (security) and only wanted to pay me 22k a year. Where I live working on minimum wage would pay me 18k a year.

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 4, 2011

You can't compare it to working minimum wage...that would be based on 40 hours a week/52 weeks a year.

I'm not saying I would or wouldn't take the job, its just not an equal comparison.

You can say 22,000 divided by 180 days comes to $122 a day...is sub pay in your area comparable to that? In my district when I was subbing, I was getting $160/day so it wouldn't have been worth it to me to take a job for that salary....but it depends on where you live.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2011

This is a very good way to look at it - I hadn't even considered comparing it to sub pay. I initially cringed at the $22k amount (cost of living in my area is very high), but subbing only pays $90-$110 in my area, depending on district.

Personally, I'd take pretty much any teaching job, no matter how much it pays, for the experience! But I still say that if it's a religious school and you don't practice that religion, that is going to be a bigger issue than the money.

20. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

May 4, 2011

Don't accept the job, but go on the second interview for experience.

I say that, as a non-religious person, because you stated that it being overly religious is a problem.

If I was a religious person, and I paid for my kids to attend a religious school, I would expect the teachers to follow those teachings. It's just not right to not be 'with the program' when nothing is hidden from you, and that's what it's about.

When I hear about the pay of 22k, I think it's low. But my cost of living is probably higher, so how does that pay compare to that areas' public schools (it's public information, so Google it up...), and to mirror what another poster said, compare it to sub pay.

If I had to guess, based on that salary, and they are competing for teachers - I would venture to say public school teachers in that area start around 25k. Where I live currently, in my small town, the public school teachers start at 32k and the local private school starts at 30k (I know teachers from both). My area is very rural, and I know more urban teachers in my state start at over 40k, and I'm sure private isn't much behind that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2011

If only this were always true...in my area, private school pay often starts between $10k - $15k less than public school starting pay, and the gap only increases with more years of experience.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2011

I disagree.

If you know the job isn't the right fit, you're wasting the time of the people there at the craziest time of the year. That's not fair to them, and it's not professional of you.

Practice with friends or with your college placement office. But don't waste the time of busy professionals if you have no intention of accepting a job offer from them.

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 5, 2011

I totally agree! I think also maybe the poster might be knocking someone else out from getting a second interview (a lot of times there are only so many slots and once those are full no one else gets an interview).