First Interview---Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.B, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Mrs.B

Mrs.B Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

I applied for an elementary teacher position on Friday and they called me back Monday morning to schedule an interview. :eek:hmy: I was surprised it was so quick. I am pretty nervous and have been doing a lot of research to help me succeed in the interview.

I just was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some general interview advice/tips. I have been reading through the interview question threads and trying to prepare answers for those already. I was just looking for some more general advice beyond knowing questions.

Thanks! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

Dress professionally, arrive on time, bring copies of materials for all people on the interview team.

Have a portfolio with samples to support the common questions that you find on the interview threads.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2012

Along with what Mopar said, definitely make sure you read up on the school and their mission statement.

Read through the interview question thread. Try to answer each question with an actual example and don't tell them things that you think they want to hear. Answer truthfully. And it's okay if you blank and don't know how to answer a question. There was one question that I was asked and honestly couldn't give them what they were looking for. It was about lesson planning and something about the four key points of a lesson plan. I KNOW how to write a lesson plan, yet they kept saying that it wasn't what they were looking for. Still confused on that one. :confused: I was still hired!

Come up with a list of genuine questions related to the job. When I interview, I alwasy research the school and the position itself. I then come up with a list of questions that I can see them asking me. I then come up with a list of questions I have in regards to the job.

Go to the job interview with the frame of mind that you are also interviewing them, making sure the job and the school is a good fit for you too.

5. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jan 27, 2012

Update?

6. Mrs.B

Mrs.B Rookie

Jan 28, 2012

I was hired for the position!!! I start on Monday! It's crazy. I mentioned to them after they offered the position to me that it was my first ever interview (and 1st app) and they told me there were about 10 other people who interviewed! I was very impressed with myself. Thanks for everyone's help!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2012

Congratulations!

8. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Congratulations! You must be a natural! :)