First Impressions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ghost, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I have a parent who wants to meet with me next week :eek: and since it's a new school, I really want to get off on the right foot. What should I do (besides meeting with her)??? And what should I include in my letter to parents??:eek: I've done a lot of different things, but I really want things to go well.

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Well I can't help you with the parent letter thing because I actually just posted on getting help for one, too.
    With the meeting parent, I assume you are meeting her at school?
    Maybe show her somethings around in your classroom, share you behavior plan, etc...

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

Before meeting with this parent, I would talk with the school principal or counselor, just in case you need a heads up as you are new to the school. Occasionally, the parents who are in there right away, turn out to be the "difficult" ones for the year.

I would be very positive with the parent, and if in doubt, I say, "I would like to think about that and I will get back with you." Document the meeting.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

I second this, and would like to add that you may want to check with your union rep about this. If your contract hasn't started, then you shouldn't be "working."

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I've been talking with my new parents all summer, both at school when I've been there and they have dropped by and also by e-mail. It helps to set a good tone for the year. I can't imagine telling a parent that I can't speak with them because school hasn't officially started.

I agree about checking with the principal to get a feel for this parent before you meet with her, but don't just assume that she is going to be difficult. Maybe she just wants to say hello and welcome to the school.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

Is there a specific reason this parent wants to meet with you? Perhaps the child has difficulty with change or new people or some kind of LD? How about health issues? We have a parent who meets with her child's teachers about a week before school begins to go over information about her child's medication, diabetes testing kits, etc. Whatever you do, if you are in this meeting alone (or even if you are with other people) take detailed notes and keep them in a safe place. If you document and keep the records they make come in very handy later if you need to play the CYA game.

8. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

Mrs. Renz has a great parent letter on her website as well, and I would speak with the office first about the meeting the parent wants to hold.