First Graders Faking Medical Emergencies in order to Go Home

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

Yep. The title says it all. They've reached a new low. Or a new height, depending on your perspective considering the degree of acting skills and sheer determination that went into the scheme.

OK, so the other day, a girl walks into my classroom at lunch recess.

"Teacher, Teacher! Noah fainted! He's going to the office."

"What do you mean fainted?" I asked.

"You know, like when you die, but before you die." (Yes, she said that,)

So I went to the office, and sure enough, there was Noah, lying down on the bed in the nurses office. Two things came to mind. First of all, Noah had a long history of getting out of stuff by being "sick." Also, this was the end of recess. We were about to go back in and start working.

The nurse happened to be there that day, and she was skeptical. But I let him stay there for a short while and come back to class. Amazingly, he was fine by the next recess and the end of the day (he didn't get to play, however, because he got in trouble for something unrelated to his "medical emergency.")

So the next day, at morning recess, the same thing. Four girls come running into my classroom to tell me that Noah had fainted AGAIN and was on his way to the office. I go in and there he is, along with Travis, who claimed that he was stricken with the same illness that caused Noah to faint.

So I told both boys that they had to sit down for the remainder of recess and then go back to class. Then in class, they had to sit very still and quiet and not get overly excited so they didn't faint again. (fat chance for both of these boys, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.) Travis got better almost immediately, (he claimed that Noah caught whatever ailment from him) But it was Noah who I was worried about. Since he fainted, I said, he needed to spend lunch recess laying down in the nurses office. So he did.

When they returned, I told Noah that I did some research on the internet and read that the only way to cure fainting was to rest for six months. No playing - even video games, since the flicker of the screen could bring on a fainting spell. The kids pointed out that he couldn't even go to the computer lab the following day since that might cause him to faint. I didn't even think of that. Then I told him I'd call his mom and tell her and he would probably spend the summer sitting inside.

A short while later, Noah came up to me and asked me if he could see the web site where I read about fainting (in spite of everything, he is one of the highest readers in the class). I told him I forgot to bookmark the page, but I'd get back to him.

As afternoon recess approached, I reminded Noah that he was sick and was to go directly to the office and lie down or sit still for the entire recess. Noah then proceeded to tell me that he was feeling much better.

No way was I going to let him off that easily. "No, you're still sick. You fainted. You need to have a doctor check you out. The doctor will probably tell you that you have to rest for six months."

He started to look worried. Finally he came up to me, right before recess and said "I need to tell you something." "What is it, Noah," I asked.

"I wasn't really sick." He said.
    "I know" I replied.

I took away his afternoon recess since faking illness is a pretty serious thing. He also has to apologize to the principal and the secretary for all the grief and stress he caused them.

Then today, Travis tried to pull the same thing. We had a lockdown drill. He claimed that he bumped his head on his desk and got knocked out. What he didn't know was that I watched him crawl under his desk, lay down and close his eyes. So after school, I talked to his mom and told her to do the same with Travis as I did with Noah.

I hope she has fun.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 8, 2010

Wow, it seems to me that this child is craving attention. This kid is really smart. You did the RIGHT thing. I have a hand full of actors/actresses.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

About 15 years ago, I had a miscarriage. I didn't publicize it at school. I told the principal about it, of course, and missed a day with a "stomach bug." (And taught sitting down for a few days.)

One of my good friends was absent the same day with food poisioning.

The next day, a teacher was out, claiming the same "bug" that Cathy and I had.

OK, credibility shot forever.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2010

I had a good laugh with this one. Thanks for sharing!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 8, 2010

That is hilarious. I could totally see my youngest daughter trying something like that! :blush:

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

My class this year includes a good number of accident-prone hypochondriacs. Not a good combination. One boy managed to get taken to the office in a wheelchair TWICE in one week, with "injuries" incurred on the playground. In each case, within an hour, he was running and jumping around again - which, no doubt, would eventually lead to even more "injuries."

8. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 8, 2010

Man, i thought the hard to prove headache and stomach ache were bad. (too funny about the "stomach bug")

9. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

Oh wow! Well played Sarge!

10. teachhemet

teachhemet Rookie

Apr 9, 2010

Funny! Good job thinking on your toes. If they could just put that creativity into their writing, we'd be set!

11. wrice

wrice Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

I have to tell the nurse every year when it is time for my students to study vision and the eye, when we get to the part about eye disorders. She always ends up seeing several kids each year with self-reported "corneal abrasions," "detached retinas" or something.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2010

I'll have to keep that in mind too... I have a bunch of first grade hypochondriacs... and then a mother who swears her daughter is sick every other day... At one point she told us that there was a cast "on order" for her daughter's broken foot!

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

Too funny!
    My "frequently fake sick student" was quite dismayed when her mother let her stay at school instead of picking her up when she called to tell her she was sick. this child has faked to go home so many times that this time, when she actually did seem il, her mom didn't believe her. Crying wolf retaliates again! LOL

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 10, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:!

I think you handled the whole thing great Sarge.

And Alice, that's too funny about that teacher claiming the same bug!

15. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

What a smart kid- and you Sarge, are a quick thinker! How funny!

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

Kids... My kindergarteners do the same thing, they go to the nurse every day at the end of recess. I have now taken to telling them that the nurse is closed when recess if over, but opens back up at playtime and they can go then. everyone's ailments seem to clear up at playtime.

17. ally06

ally06 Companion

Apr 10, 2010

That is hilarious!

18. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Apr 10, 2010

I have students in pre-k trying to fake sick! It drives me nuts...what drives me more nuts is when the parents drop them off and say "If you don't feel well, tell your teacher to call me and I'll come get you." Okay...IF you have to question if your child is sick or not, maybe they shouldn't come to school in the first place! Kids aren't stupid - you tell them that you'll come get them if they are sick, of course they are going to "be sick" then!

haha sorry I just had to share when I saw the title of this post!

19. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

I get a lot of "sick" kids when I sub, too. Especially around math time.

20. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 10, 2010

I have one who is really good about faking it. I find it funny that he thinks that I actaully think he is truly sick.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 10, 2010

I remember as a kid (either grade one or grade two) I used to think I was throwing up every time I had a sour burp. I would go to the office and say that I had thrown up, and mom would be called to come get me. Of course, I was fine once I got home... but I remember honestly thinking I had thrown up and was sick!

Then came the day I was really sick, and they wouldn't even call.

22. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Apr 10, 2010

Kind of o/t, but I'll never forget this girl got dropped off at my practicum. She screaming and crying about how unfair it was that her brother got to stay home and she didn't. Come to find out brother was sick. The dad promised she was going to calm down. She cried for a half hour straight and we tried to have the other students play with her and she would try to hit them. So, we call dad to come get her. It took him an hour and by that time she was fine. She told us to tell her father to let her stay. :mad: Um, no. So, dad comes and the girl tells him herself. The dad told her he had to miss a day of work to get her and she's going home. TBH, I don't even know why dad left her go acting like that. :unsure:

23. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

I used to always throw up if I ate breakfast (i discovered this in third grade, and it lasted through college). I took advantage of it in third grade. I was also bullied then by a girl the school catered to because of her parents involvement in all school functions but I don't recall that being a reason for my trying to avoid school.

I was always fine after I threw up. But of course that was enough for the school to send me home, so every time I didn't want to go to school I'd eat breakfast. I stopped once the nurse commented to me about how I was having a host of problems that year.

High school was a different story - I wanted to stay and they kept sending me home over every little thing.

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

Luckily this year I have some kids that really do like school there are not too many of them faking sick to go home. However if one complains of anything then I am sure to have a whole class full of the same ailment soon enough. Even if it's the smallest of cuts. I keep my own supply of band aids on hand just for that purpose.
    I do however have to tell this story. A few years ago I was at another school. One year I taught special ed inclusion with a kindergarten class. The following year I taught general ed kinder, but was still very familiar with all the kids I had taught the year before. Well one day this first grader was in the nurses office and I was bringing one of my kinder kids in to see the nurse. I look over and I see one of the kids that I new from the year before, so I ask him what he is doing. He shows me this horrible looking redmark on his leg. He tells me that he burned himself the night before and needs to go home. I was about to feel sorry for the little guy when the nurse comes over and tells me not to. The smart little one had taken his red marker and colored his leg. Unforetunately for him he didn't realize that when sweated in his sock the water color would come off onto his sock. Needless to say the nurse called the Dad, the dad came and had a talk with his son. Behind the boys back we all had a pretty good laugh about how imaginative his son was just so he could go home.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 11, 2010

My Mom worked right around the corner when I was little so I faked sick a decent number of times. We had specials in the morning and then math, so I was always ailing right after library or computers. :haha: :angel: She caught on though, and so did my teachers, so I NEVER got to go home in junior high/HS.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

So many times, when we are on the playground, I have children complaining about some ailment and wanting to go to the office to call Mom. We have two benches on the playground and call one the "hospital" bench. We make the complainers sit on the hospital bench until they feel better. Watching the other children having fun usually brings on a miracle cure.

27. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

I have a kid who fakes to get out of work frequently, so I usually don't send him to the nurse. One day at recess, he was running and playing like all the other kids. But once we lined up to go in, his stomach really got to hurting. I told him he could sit by the trashcan when we go in (usually they move away after awhile). Before we even get in the door though, he throws up all over the blacktop...felt bad, but when you fake it frequently, it happens!