First Graders and PowerPoint

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by armygirl8894, Jul 12, 2007.

1. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I'll be teaching 1st graders in August and was wondering how hard or easy PowerPoint would be for them to learn. Is their a way to teach them without all the frustrations of learning this computer program? Is it too hard for them? I would like to use this program in my classroom and find some activities for this kind of technology. Any ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

What sorts of things would you do with PP? I use it for note taking, but I don't think that would be too much fun for a first grader.

I would caution against using PP too much in your classroom. In first grade, I think there's a lot to be said for actually writing things out by hand in front of the students. I remember how much I loved watching my first grade teacher write words on the board. I liked seeing how she made the letters and how neat her handwriting was. I think it helped me perfect my own handwriting much earlier than I would have otherwise.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Oh! I just re-read your original post. Are you talking about teaching first graders to use PP? I think that wouldn't really work.

I don't know that first graders have the dexterity and motor skills necessary to do the finer dragging movements required to use PP.

5. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Somewhere on a thread I read where a teacher used PP with 1st graders. I'm not sure how but was curious if it could be done. It was just out of curiosity. I agree with you about seeing their handwriting skills at work and how they learn to get the meaning of wriiten print. PP for me was somewhat of a challenge when I learned it, so I can only imagine that 1st graders would find it really hard.

6. Thom'n'Sarahmom

Thom'n'Sarahmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

It's all in the approach...

It's a bit time consuming - but absolutely do-able. The time you invest now - you will be thanked by your subsequent teachers....
    If you have a computer lab at your disposal it's really easy... (especially if you take it really seriously in the second semester)...

Work with them on simple word documents first -- so they know about inserting headlines, textboxes and pictures. Make a small selection of pictures you want them to use - for any given theme you're working on -- put them on a server and then teach them how to retrieve them from there -- this works best if you have an infocus type projector where you can model the steps to them -- again and again and again........

Just make sure you keep it simple - but they'll LOVE IT!!
    Good luck!!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

I have done class power points. I print out photos, of a field trip for example, and each child writes something about it. Then we make the power point together. They pick out the backgrounds, transitions, music. We show them at parent night. This has worked very well for me in the past.

8. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I teach second graders how to use iMovie. If they can do it then first graders can do powerpoint if you keep it simple. Our movies...
    http://www.videointheclassroom.com

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2007

One of the school districts near me is heavy on computer integration and their first graders use powerpoint all the time. I don't know all of the details of it, but they do have to complete a powerpoint on a certain topic from the second six weeks on. The final project last year was to make an all about my school ppt for the next group. Some of them had hyper links and yes/no questions that showed different things depending on what you clicked.

10. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I have made some Powerpoints to help teach - and some with songs, etc. I have not had the kids actually make them - although they do love the computers. I do like the idea mentioned of having a class powerpoint to show at the end of the year. That is a neat idea and having each child add something to it is nice - even if I put it together but let them choose the pictures, etc.

11. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

When I was a substitute for a 1st grade classroom in November one of the activities I had to help them with was creating an ABC book power point. They had to have a slide with the letter, a word (apple), and a picture of their word. They seemed to really enjoy it and didn't seem to be having that many problems.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

Scholastic Keys is a software program that has a kid-friendly version of word, excel, and powerpoint. The powerpoint is great because it has projects already set up, the kids just have to add their information.

13. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I am a computer teacher for k-5...this is absolutely possible but will take some patience! Teach the very basics...also instead of using the tool bars, open the formatting palette for them (view-formating palette) this puts all of the tools in one place and makes it easier. Keep it very simple for them don't expect them to do more than page background, typing, adding clip art, and transitions. Any more than that will be overwhelming. For some great ideas for using technology with your class check out ilearntechnology.com, it is updated daily. Good luck!

14. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Since my posting, I have been doing some research and I really think that I could teach my students this program. The person (in the post before) who is the computer teacher really gave me the go ahead about it being easy and teaching it to their level. So I think I will try and see what happens. I'm going to have patience and lots of fun. Thanks everyone, that's why I like this teacher forum. Awesome Teachers!!!:haha:

15. ABCD2503

ABCD2503 New Member

Jul 26, 2007

My first graders start working on their own Power Points by the end of the year. They are taught step-by-step in the computer lab. It might be something as simple as the seasons or slides of their favorite things. This is going to be my 3rd year teaching 1st grade. I wouldn't recommend it at the beginning of the year, but as the year progresses and they learn about the computer, keyboard, and what it can do.

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the link to ilearntechnology.com. Seems like there are many good things there. Unfortunately I was not able to subscribe to it for some reason but I did bookmark it!

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

Scholastic Keys is a software program that has a kid-friendly version of word, excel, and powerpoint. The powerpoint is great because it has projects already set up, the kids just have to add their information.

Yes! I have this program on my computers at school!! I love it! I have only used the power point and word version (I don't see much of a use for exel and first graders, yet!) The great thing about the Scholastic Keys is that powerpoint comes with pre-made slide shows. All the kids have to do is fill in information...and they can tweek things if they like (ie, change the picture...a biggie in first grade!) All of the icons are larger and kid friendly. Most of my kids are able to get on and go....they love using it! I have also used the word version to type book covers, make posters etc....
    A great, great program!

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2007

My son just completed 2nd grade but he was so proud that he could do a basic power point.

Basically they had a small research project. They wrote down some comments they wanted to make about it. (Maybe they did this as a class. I don't know). Then she taught them how to insert a text box, write it in it. Then search for and insert a clip art image. Then learned how to insert a new slide. I get the feeling after that she showed them (but didn't require it) some basic stuff it could do OR she allowed them to play with it after they finished. She gave them their own disk to bring it home! My son was SOOOOOO proud he played around with the newest version (which is different) and managed to make a Father's Day Slideshow completely on his own. He did great!!