First Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher12345, Jan 28, 2020.

1. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Jan 28, 2020

First Grade teachers/anyone with answers: I have noticed this year that first grade is a huge jump from kindergarten. In K they get lots of free play time plus recess. In first grade we just have a 25 minute recess. Does anyone else out their give their first graders extra time to play/free time? There is so much to get done in a day but I feel like its such a huge change for them to go from that much play time to hardly any at all. Sometimes I feel bad that theres so much work even though I try to make things fun/hands on opposed to worksheets/tests. Thanks!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 29, 2020

We have 2 recesses and each is about 15 minutes in length. Our kindergarten doesn't do much more than this. They do more at the beginning of the year though.

4. K2fun

K2fun Guest

Jan 29, 2020

I recently retired but here's how it worked for me. Our Ks have two 15 min recesses and play centers (kitchen, blocks, etc) for 45 mins in the afternoon. Grade 1 has only one 15 min recess. My kids complained during the first month of school about being tired, but that dissipated. I think they began to view our morning literacy centers as the "play time" of first grade because I included computer time, phonics games & puzzles, and artsy ways to practice spelling words. I talked a lot about them being big kids now with their own desks just like grades 2-5. They rose to the occasion. I did have "Fun Friday" as part of my class management plan - 20 min of fun centers on Friday afternoon for all those who earned it with mostly good behavior all week.