First Grade

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, May 6, 2013.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 6, 2013

Is there a grade that just kills you?

For me it's first grade. For some reason, first grade often seems needier than kinders or even preschoolers. I've never subbed in a first grade room where someone hasn't asked to go to the nurse. No matter how many times I tell them to sit in their seats, whenever I turn around, there's one right on my tail with some problem or other...it's quite comical in a certain sense.

Recently I was in a first grade class that spent the two days I was there telling me what Mrs. X. didn't like subs doing. "Mrs. X. doesn't like it when the subs use the soap at the sink." "Mrs. X. doesn't like it when the subs use the elmo projector." And on, and on, and on. I have no idea what went down the last time she was gone, but I am not "the sub" I am a teacher who happens to be covering for another teacher. One student even tried to get my attention by saying "hey Sub!" If they were middle or high school, I would see it as a genuine effort to display a lack of respect. With this young an age, I have to seriously wonder how their teacher prepared them for her absence.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2013

Kids his age are attached to familiarity and routine. When things change, they notice it more so and it takes them a bit to adjust.

4. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 9, 2013

I can't stand first grade. Even second sort of bugs me, although I like Kinder. First graders are so touchy feely! They are always rubbing my shoes when we read and stuff.

5. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 13, 2013

LOL. I laugh at all this because I'm a 1st year 1st grade teacher, and these kids might as well be my very own. I've grown to love this age, though. They really grow a lot during the 9 months it's amazing to witness

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2013

I know! All the time! I think it's strangely cute, though. :)

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 13, 2013

I don't dislike the age group necessarily, but I will say that in my experience (at least in the K-6 realm), it is the most difficult grade to work.

In MS, 7th-8th can be problematic, due to obvious issues (immaturity, ignorance).

I'm not often in HS, but it all seems the same to me (i.e. you need to be suited to it). I would say that freshman are the worst at that level.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 25, 2013

I feel your pain. I had to cover for an absent teacher last week, and boy they were a nightmare. Five children were out of their seats, two tried to leave the class. One cried because I would not let her use the bathroom. On top of that, the teacher left no lesson plans, so I basically had to wing it. Eventually I found a vocabulary bingo game in the closet..

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

Haha I actually really think this is cute!

It's funny to read this because I teach first and I absolutely adore this age! But I wouldn't be caught dead in a middle school classroom. I'm glad we all have our own "niche" where we find joy and shine the most! :D

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

They definitely are needy. Like another poster stated, they are very set on routines and what is familiar, so they have a hard time when things are different from that they are used to. My kids can´t sit still on the carpet to save their life. I always wear sandals and frequently feel a little finger poking my toe. :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2013

You could have had them do push ups, or musical chairs:dizzy: