First grade writing

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Danny'sNanny, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I've moved down to first grade, and am loving it, but I've come to realize...
    Our kinder teachers have a BIG range of expectations. I'd run my plans past my friend who has the higher expectations. The kids from her class are doing great, but the others are floundering. :(

So... time to rework my plans!

What does writing time look like in your room?
    Set up of your writing block?
    How much self-selected vs assigned topic?
    One day lessons, or do you stretch them out?
    Etc...

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

Writers Workshop by lucy calkins. That's what our district does...

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

Our district just started Lucy Calkins. What I do at the beginning of the year (I have not started the Lucy Clakins stuff yet) is I do guided writing for the first week. I give them sentence strips to add to I also give children who want it paper with the stuff on the board written on the paper so they don't have to copy from the board. I then in the second or third week move to a more individual writing experience. Where I train them on thinking of ideas. I then move to sharing with peers. Later in the year (January) I work on editing and more directed writing assignments. I do basically Writer's Workshop. I also do interactive writing with my class with various things.

I now will be bringing in Lucy Calkins. I shall have to see how it goes. I don't like the form the curriculum is written in. Hard to skim and get the point.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

I introduce writing like I would any other job in Daily 5. My students have individual journals and every day they write something. They build up their stamina throughout the year. Sometimes I have a specific writing task for them, but most of the time they can choose what they want to write about. I edit as they go. At the end of the year they all type one story. My kiddos generally don't come in knowing how to write so it takes us most of September to set up those expectations.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2013

So now that we're almost a month in, I have somewhat settled in a routine... that routine may change but it's working for now.

2-3 days a week - shared/interactive writing at morning meeting

Writing block
    Every day - 5-7 minute mini lesson
    2 days a week - journals
    2 days a week - deeper writing piece that goes with sci/ss theme
    Fridays - class newspaper about the week

We are growing in our stamina and they're writing for 15 minutes or so now, which is better than the 2-3 minutes so many were doing at the beginning! It's just been hard because the kids from one class are so used to a writing block, and are writing sentences (with kid spelling of course, but understandable and spaces between words). Kids from another class were mostly just writing strings of letters!

Hopefully when we start our intervention block in a week or so, I can have the kids not working with me or at Title I/ resource/speech/social group doing some extra choice writing (journals, letters, cards, stories, etc)

My last grade just had huge writing projects that took months. I didn't love it in 2nd, and I don't want to do that in first. I also don't want everything to just be one class and then we move on. Trying to find the balance...

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

It sounds like you've found a good 'groove'. It's hard when there is such a large range of skills. Giving them time to do guided practice is so important, while still providing structure. I'll let you know what our writing block looks like in a month or so. (We start back to school on Wednesday).