First Grade Writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by countrygal, Jan 20, 2010.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

Teaching first grade writing takes ALOT of patience! If I have said it once today, I must have said it a thousand times. Read your sentence to see if it makes sense. Make sure you capitalize your letters and have punctuation! Check your work! Check your work!!

PATIENCE!!!!! PATIENCE!!! PATIENCE!!!

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

Out of curiousity, how do you teach writing?

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 20, 2010

I still have to do that in second!!:)

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2010

I teach Kindergarten this year but was an aide in first grade for 3 years. I use some of the same ideas. One of the ideas we use is putting things on a projector/smartboard, etc. Then let the student read it. The student shares their art work and talks about their idea and their writing. Then we spend some time complimenting the work and asking more questions. At the end of it, I model how to edit some things. I try not to pick a lot of things. I do this with several students. They see a trend in what I'm looking for. Then they start to be able to help each other edit. Eventually they are able to look at their own writing. Isn't it easier to see it in others than in ourselves? I do spend a lot of time making sure we compliment and reinforce the piece in a positive way too. We don't want this to become a critical exercise. The students love showing off their work.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

I have my kids start with a concept map and from that they write draft 1, where I edit and give suggestions. Then they write their final draft. I think I might have them student-edit too; that sounds like a good idea.