First Grade Writing Prompts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Seich30, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Mar 7, 2004

I am tutoring a child who is having trouble in school with writing. According to his teacher, he is doing well brainstorming--but can't seem to getting any farther. I'm looking for a list of a few writing prompts for this level so I can practice with him. I'm a pre-k teacher so this is a little out of my area of expertise. Thanks for the help!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mar 24, 2004

Hey, with my first graders I have them create visual writing prompts. I have many ink stamps that portray animals, cars, wilderness scenes, and so forth. I give the children 5 minutes to put between 3 and 8 stamps on the top of the paper and fabricate a story on ther picture. It works out really well.

If you dont have access to stamps, make a master copy of a bunch of picture children can color and cut out. They can glue them on top of their paper and draw a background. You end up with ten different stories from the same picture prompts!

Good luck!

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Mar 25, 2004

You can do the same thing with stickers and make "sticker stories"

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 25, 2004

I just bought some great chunky foam stamps at Wal Mart for 50 cents each. One of them had 3 on a strip!

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 25, 2004

The kindergarteners in my daughters class just did a writing activity on what they want to do when they get to first grade. The prompt was "In first grade I will.." Maybe your could tweak it a little for your first grader.

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Mar 26, 2004

Thanks for the ideas--I'm on track now!!

8. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Apr 1, 2004

What i do is I let each child pick a picture of something ( The student and I don't know what it is) and I have them write a paragraph describing what it is.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2004

There was a discussion a while ago in which we discussed 4-Square Writing- this can really help. It's a way of using a graphic organizer to stretch out a writing idea. If this kid is good at brainstorming the 4 Square could really work. Like if it's a personal narrative the squares are for beginning, middle, end and a feeling sentence or two for conclusion. Persuasive or essay- 3 reasons in the squares and a conclusion. There's a book you can buy- or search for the discussion here regarding 4 Square- It really has imporved my student's writing!!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 12, 2004

I had never used it before, czacza, but after reading that thread I used it (Four Square) just last week. It was the best writing I have gotten out of the kids all year! Thanks.