first grade will not stay in his seat!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Iris228, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

I'm new to first grade, and a new teacher as well. I need some advice. I want to crazy glue this child's rear to his seat! He is always up moving around. I know first graders have a lot of energy but he needs to be sitting when the other children are as well. Also, when he moves around I can't monitor what he's doing and it's usually bothering someone else. During journal time all of the students are writing and in their seats. When I'm helping someone out or reading their work he will wander around the room and sometimes I don't notice until it's because someone is screaming that he's annoying them. Suggestions for helping him stay in his seat?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2008

Seems like he needs some reinforcement ( immediate). Can you use stars or some type of visual to reinforce him? How about setting a timer to earn a sticker?

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

Yes I could try that. I do a behavior chart with another student who is active in the class as well very similar to this-he earns stickers for staying in his seat, working quietly, letting others do their work, and trying his best. We go through each question to determine if he did these tasks for the allotted time and he earns stickers if he did.

However, my only concern with this particular student who has trouble staying in his seat is it doesn't seem to bother him when he doesn't earn rewards. Or he's always like "what do I get" He's atypical from other first graders in that I'm not sure if a sticker will be compelling enough for him. However, I'm going to give it a try, perhaps I'm wrong (I hope so).

5. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Oct 29, 2008

I have a child like that in my class this year as well.

I have him sit on this special cushion, that I borrowed from the Special Education teacher at our school. It's smooth on one side, and bumpy on the other. The idea is that it provides the child with movement and tactile stimulation, so that they don't feel the need to constantly move around. It sounds absolutely crazy-- but it works! Since we brought the cushion in, he sits still for extended periods of time! I love it. He uses it at his desk, and takes it with him when he moves to different parts of the classroom (carpet, listening center, small group table, think time desk...).

Check out this site for a cushion that is similar to the one I use:
    http://www.therapyshoppe.com/product.php?cat=2&id=1251&offset=0

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2008

You can also try large (adult sized) chairs for him to sit in in different areas. You might try taking his chair away, have him stand, and tape a square around his seating area as limits which he can't pass without permission.

7. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

Thanks guys!
    MMRbella: About what size do you have? Is the smaller one of those two going to be about right in your opinion?

I actually think this seat cushion would be wonderful for a different student in my class. He seems to me to be someone who is constantly looking for sensory stiumulation. He is frequently very fidgety, and while he doesn't get UP out of his seat he moves around IN his seat a lot! (turning around to bother neighbor, pushing chair reallly far out, slouching down, always knocking things off his desk with abrupt and sharp movements etc.)
    I guess I need to buy 2!

Maybe I'll also try taping out a border where he needs to stay as EMonkey suggested. I am open to suggestions!

8. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

I also have a student like that this year. Like EMonkey, I taped a large square using masking tape around his desk area. He is allowed to stand, sit, lay, ... in his square as long as he's doing the work. No one else in the class is allowed to enter his square. This has worked very well for him. I moved seating arrangements a week ago and left his square on the floor and now he has the option of sitting with the group, or if he feels that he needs to get away in order to make the best choices, he pulls his desk over to his square.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 30, 2008

Does he have to sit? I have one girl who does MUCH better standing, so she works at a high desk in the back of the room. She rests on her elbows and can quietly move her feet around. I have the desk on a small bathroom carpet and she has to stay on that.

I have a student last year who worked on the floor all the time. It helped ground him. He would also ask for a weighted blanket occasionally.

I talk to my students about finding their best spot for work. That also means allowing others to work. I am pretty free about what they choose- they have the option on the couch w/ a clip board, two tables I took the legs off of (they can sit right on the floor), laying on the floor with a cushion and clip board, their desk or two different heights of tables in the back of the room. About half of my kids sit at tables and the other half choose a spot around the room.

If they are disturbing others, they loose the choice to pick their spot.

Even if he is the only one with a different spot than the others, kids seem to understand that "Fair doesn't always mean equal."

10. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Oct 31, 2008

somewhere i read adding something to stimulate them at their desks works well also, for example, stretching rubber bands across the front two legs of their chair, so they can bounce their legs against it; putting something to touch underneath their desk, like the fuzzy side of velcro

11. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 31, 2008

Actually, I remember when my nephew was a little tyke in pre-K, he had a sensory problem and would have a problem in this regard. It was suggested that he sit on one of those big balls. It worked! Now he is a 6th grader and doing wonderfully. I would definitely look into MMRbella's link.

Kris

12. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Nov 3, 2008

I would recommend the smaller sized cushion, as I think the larger is intended for older/larger children. I suppose it really depends on the size of the student, though...

13. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

Thanks, think i am going to look into those. I really appreciate all the wonderful ideas.

14. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Nov 3, 2008

Try putting tape around the boundaries of his desk. Let him know that this is the area he has to stay in. This gives him a visual of his boundaries and it is a visual reminder for him to stay in his desk. Put the tape around the edge of his desk. This is a constant reminder to him. I have even taped x's of where their chair has to stay. The taping just gives the child that extra reminder.