first grade till mid feb

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Sub2Teach, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jan 17, 2007

Hello All,

Well, I'm used to day to day subbing, but last Thursday I got a call about a four day assignment, which would've ended this Wednesday. I've now learned that it will last until almost the end of Februrary with a possibility of it becoming extend beyond that. On the one hand, I'm excited and I hope this will in some lead to a full-time position if not at this school, perhaps at another one in August. Anyway, I'm doing first grade. Anyone familiar with first grade and procedures? I've done kdg, but not too familiar with first grade. Also, for math were on chapter 10, well the teacher had that in her plans for last week and now the teacher next door says she's on chapter 20, not sure how, but she said I should skip ahead to that chapter. Any ideas on what I should do? She seems to be at the same place as me for Reading, so that's good. How about science and SS? Any activities/ideas for how to teach those/projects in SS? How about grading papers, I don't have her gradebook, so how do i handle that (not to mention testing)???
    What about behavior, is it okay to deviate from her classroom management system, kids not behaving. help please!!!!!!!!

3. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 17, 2007

I say that you are their teacher until your position ends. Do whatever behavior management system that works best for you. I student taught in 1st grade and it was so much fun. If you need any detailed ideas, feel free to PM me. This sounds like a great opportunity to get your foot in the door! Work hard and invite the principal in the classroom to see how you're doing. If anything maybe he/she could recommend you for a future position in that district. Have fun!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

I agree with Deena about doing what works as far as management. The children probably already have certain rules/procedures established from the other teacher, and they will probably tell you Mrs. so and so does this etc. :rolleyes: Take it one day at a time for now, make sure you know what specials they have each day and any pullouts or pushins.

I don't know about just skipping over the Math chapters though. It would be kind of silly to skip way ahead without the prerequisite skills. However, when you get the chance try to talk with some grade level teachers. If possible, can you contact the previous teacher?

As far as Social Studies and Science... Look over the text and see what the major themes are. You can do alot by incorporating art, literature, and hands on activities.

You will do fine! Congratulations. Just take a deep breath and take each day as it comes. I'm sure that there will be plenty of help. Also check out activities on this site by grade level.