First Grade Teacher needs help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by noelle.dupont, Oct 4, 2006.

1. noelle.dupont

noelle.dupont New Member

Oct 4, 2006

I am a second year teacher, first year in first grade. I am wanting my kiddos to memorize their addition facts. What is the best way in going about doing this? Also, can anyone think of any fun activities for teaching subject/predicate?We're doing charades (I found this one on-line), but as I am new at this (so is my whole team), I am needing any info from anybody! Thanks for y'alls help in advance!!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Oct 4, 2006

Addition Facts

Last year, we sent home flashcards (nice ones from Lakeshore, but you could just buy or copy your own) on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Then the students took timed tests on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (They had to get 28 out of 30 correct to move on to the next test). They also occasionally practiced their flashcards at school with a parent volunteer or with a partner. There is a website called "Math Magician" that we used at school and some kids used it at home to practice facts quickly. I hope this helps, we didn't buy the flashcards this year. We haven't decided what to do yet. Last year's plan worked well for some students, but not others.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 4, 2006

1+1= 2 eyes
    2+2= 4 legs on a dog
    3+3= 6 pack
    4+4 = 8 spider legs
    5+5= 10 fingers
    6+6=12 dozen like a dozen eggs
    7+7= 14 days = 2 weeks at grandmas
    8+8=16 age to drive a car
    9+9=18 wheels on a truck
    Buying a set of flash cards and using them nightly is a great way to master the basic addition and subtraction math facts. You can also use a regular deck of cards to practice facts.
    Remember that it takes time and LOTS of practice to master the basic math facts.

become a certified MASTER MULTIPLIER!

http://www.pedagonet.com/quickies/mathworksheets.htm flashcards

White boards are wonderful
    ***White boards are great and expensive. Go to the lumber yard buy a sheet of smooth white paneling. ---called white tile board…. Our lumber yard cut it up in smaller sizes free. (about 11 by 12 inches) don't remember for sure. Or maybe your high school shop teacher will cut it for you. Next with sand paper sand around the edges just enough to take off the sharp edge. A boys top of a sock ---makes a good eraser. You need a white board, a white board marking pen and sock top for each student.
    You set on a tall bar stool or Captain's Chair. Write a problem on your board. Students write the problem and answer. They hold it up and if the answer is correct you say erase, if wrong say try again. This works for multiplication and division.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 4, 2006

I like the cute little reminders for adding doubles :)

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

We focus on one adding strategy a week until all the facts are covered. We keep track of our progress on an addition table. Here is the order we do:

doubles
    making 10 facts
    +0, +1. +2
    doubles +1 (close doubles or near doubles)
    odd balls (the "toughies")

Hmm, I thougt there was one more, but I can't remember.

7. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

There is a wonderful resource on the school bell website. Flashcards, timed tests, games, worksheets. It is great! Just Google The School Bell.

8. noelle.dupont

noelle.dupont New Member

Oct 4, 2006

Thank you everyone for all of your help!! I can't wait to start trying these ideas!!