First grade reading level

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

I'm new to first grade. At the end of first grade are they supposed to be rading at first grade level or second grade level. How do you determine what level they ar at? Are there specific words per minute they shoul be reading at< Thanks for the input.

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 18, 2007

Our school would like students to be reading 60 wpm. That goals comes from our reading series. We also use DIBELS, and it says they should be reading 40 wpm. You can determine what level they are by doing DRAs or running records. We expect the students to read level 16-18 at the end of the year.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2007

Good heavens! You're teaching in California and your school/district has not laid it out plain and clear what assessment you're supposed to use?

Are you using Open Court? If so, they have a wealth of good and not so good assessemts where they also tell you what the benchmarks are. Where I'm at, we use the Open Court assessments and Reading Lions.

Otherwise, any curriculum your school/district is using should come with assessments and benchmarks. If not, then your school/district is using a curriculum that's not state approved. And if they didn't give you any curriculum, then they are breaking the law.

As far as fluency, 60wpm is good. Between 30 and 50 is cause for concern and less than 30 is when the red flags go up and the principal is meeting with the parents to talk about retention.

And remember, any information you need can be found in the State Standards here. That's why I'm shocked that your school has not given you this information. Where I'm at, they would surgically implant the information in our brains if they could.

5. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Thanks for the replies. I work at a small Catholic school and I am the only first grade teacher. I do not use open court.

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jan 19, 2007

That's my situation too. I'm at a small Lutheran school & am the only teacher in 1st. We do use open court though so I've been wading my way through that curriculum.

7. Julie M.

Julie M. Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

We expect our students to read at a DRA 16-18 at the end of the year as well. We do not test our students on words read per minute.

8. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Jan 19, 2007

Me Too!

My situation is the same. I work in a private school as well. I have just now received the reading assessment for the school and I got the DRA. Now I am looking for a writing assessment and don't know what to choose?

9. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

sorry, what is DRA?

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 20, 2007

DRA - the Developmental Reading Assessment - it's pretty standard. My school also would like first graders to be at a DRA of 18 at the end of first grade.

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

I talked to the second grade teacher today. He told me he wants them reading at 60 wpm by the first day of second grade. I did WPM timing of my kids today, I have one at 93wpm, about 5 at 60wpm, and most between 30-50, I have one who is at about 25wpm and another was at 19wpm (with help). I guess we're progressing slowly!