First Grade Read Alouds

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

We just finished up Junie B. First Grader (At Last!) after lunch. What are some other chapter books interesting for first graders with quick chapters??? I remember they adored Flat Stanely. But I'd like to save that for later in the year.

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

I'm working on Junie B. right now. Have you seen the Ready Freddy books? They are similar to Junie B., but geared more for boys (the girls like them too).

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 13, 2007

Last year I read Gooney Bird Greene (by Louis Lowry) to the kids. it was very funny and a quick read. I think there are now 2 others to go along with the original.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 13, 2007

Last year I read Ralph and The Motorcycle the whole series, SuperFudge, How to Eat Fried Worms, and A Series of Unfortunate Events (book 1) to my k-4 students. I read others just can't think of them right now. They loved the Unfortunate Events book, at Ralph and the Motorcycle.

6. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 13, 2007

Last year I read some of the Magic Tree House mysteries, as well as some of the Boxcar children.

This year, I've read Flat Stanley already and we are working on Ramona the Pest. I'm also planning on reading some of the Bailey School Kids (Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots, etc.), the Mouse and the Motorcycle books, and more Boxcar children. I also might read a couple Magic Tree House mysteries again.

7. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

My students have love Pippi Longstocking, The Chocolate Touch, and James and the Giant Peach (I edit as I read and leave out the word "Ass").

8. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Sep 13, 2007

A to Z mysteries are good. My children loved to try to pick out clues and predict the outcome of the story.

9. luv2teach1

luv2teach1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

I agree. My kids love the A to Z mysteries. I start them in October. They beg for them when they are over! They are a great teaching tool for those comprehension strategies!

10. luv2teach1

luv2teach1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

Not short chapters, but my kids last year LOVED the Little House books. We only read a few. They didn't care for Farmer Boy much so I think I'll stop before that this year. The kids really enjoyed learning about a past time through these books. They were fascinated!:)

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 25, 2007

I always read "Charlotte's Web" at the beginning of the year. I might try the Little House books or maybe next year when I teach second grade. They do like Junie B. Jones or sometimes the Ramona Quimby books.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 25, 2007

We just read Horrible Harry and they loved it. It was short and funny and held their attention spans. :D

13. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Oct 18, 2007

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar is a great one. Each chapter is just a couple of pages long and they are hilarious.