First grade poetry

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by yessc31, Oct 13, 2008.

1. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

At my school, this month for writing workshop we have to the children writing poems. We have been reading a variety of different poems/nursery rhymes. What is the best way to teach writing a poem? Many of my students, struggling with writing because many don't know all of the letters of the alphabet or their sounds. Anyone have a simple formats/lessons to teach poetry?

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I don't teach rhyming poetry. I use "thinking" like a poet poetry. (From Lucy Calkins) This way they try to describe an object in some different way. We write about small seed ideas instead of big watermelon ideas. We also talk about using poetic language instead of ordinary languge etc. We also talk about how to add beat and rhythm to poetry by repeating words or phrases. Finally, we talk about line breaks. How you can choose the lines of your poem to look like a shape or make it sound the way you want it to sound. Most of my students regardless of ability do very with the poetry unit this way.

I 'm not sure if you were looking for a simple fill in the blank form or not. If you search on the internet I'm sure you can find those. I've used them before and they worked well.

I've also used season acrostic poems. We did have to either brainstorm a list of words that they could use for each letter or I have wrote words on popsicle sticks in separated bags. They had to pull a stick out and write it down then repeat for the remainder of the letters.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

There is a book called "Teaching _ Graders To Love Writing Poetry" By Regie Routman. I have used the 2nd grade, and the 3rd/4th. They have a first grade book (or it may be K/1) and I am sure it's great.

It's basically like the other post, but gives lots of examples and is step by step. I have used those books every year during my poetry unit. It focuses on free-verse poetry.