first grade math resources!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by puff5655, Nov 9, 2017.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 9, 2017

I feel like we do reading and writing most of the day in so many ways, and my kids are soaring. But we do math 45 minutes a day right now and I have so many strugglers!

We've been composing numbers and adding/subtracting since the beginning of the year and some kids still don't understand what's going on. Not sure if they need extra support or if they just aren't developmentally ready.

How do you all do math? I don't think I want to try to do full-on guided math just yet but maybe a couple intervention groups in addition to whole group math.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2017

Could you share some examples of how your math block is structured (45 minutes is certainly short!) and some examples of student struggles vs. what you're working on?

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 11, 2017

I've found ways to integrate math into other lessons, especially science and social studies. Other times during the day are excellent opportunities for integration (of any subject). Lining up, you could form two groups, those wearing shirts with pictures and those wearing plain shirts, those wearing shoes and those wearing sandals, those who like liver and those who don't, etc. This presents a visual example of finding a difference. I wouldn't necessarily write it on the board, just quickly observe it: the idea is to jump start the various math neurons in the brain in preparation for when it's done during math class. Group games at recess can incorporate math concepts. If allowable at your school, for memorizing basic facts, for one or two days, I'd give the kids a "pet arithmetic fact". Each student would have a flashcard containing a fact they were struggling with. They'd take their fact to lunch with them (and yes, I'd see them talking to their flashcard, pretending to feed it, and pretending that the flashcards were talking to each other; but after lunch, they knew their fact)! An observation I've made during math class, the more opportunity kids have to explore manipulatives, rather than just observing or following the teacher's model, the better they grasp calculation concepts. The rushed push through curricula inhibits such allowance, but it's also time well spent. Another idea, a weird idea I've incorporated, I've allowed students to build with base 10 blocks during free time as if they were building with Lincoln Logs or similar blocks. I feel it's one extra plus in realizing, visually and tactilely, what place value is all about, preparing them for when they use the blocks in a formal setting during math class.

5. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Nov 11, 2017

Prodigy!!! It's a free game they can play on the computer and they love it. It tracks so much too so it's great for teachers.

6. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 14, 2017

I'll look into Prodigy. My high flyers use Reflex math and love it.

For our math block we do a whole group lesson, followed by a whole group game, and then they have independent work and sometimes a partner game. I have some kids who still need help recognizing numbers (especially 12 vs 20) and other kids who still can't count their fingers (to add/subtract). 1/4 of my class has a learning disability or is considered "RTI" - they get extra support in reading but not math.

I'm thinking I just need to work with the strugglers more in small groups.

7. Kayla H

Kayla H New Member

Nov 15, 2017

Google EMBARC- it's a free math resource that is aligned with Eureka Math. Lots of good stuff on there!