First grade line

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by tmichrod, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tmichrod

tmichrod Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

This is my first year teaching First Grade. Question... what's the best way to do a class line? Do you do a line order? Or do you just have a line leader? If you do a line order, how do you get them lined up? Do you call each number? Or do you just say "Line up in line order"...? I want this to be as simple as possible... any suggestions? My class size will be probably between 12 and 14 students...

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2011

Getting them to line up in the classroom:

"When I say the first letter of your name, line up"

Say the alphabet. Don't always start with the same letter.

If there are lots of kids who's names start with the same letter, then you might say "J if you are a boy, J if you are a girl"

If you are on the playground, and need your class to line up do this:

1. Use your whistle in a distinctive manner - I use "shave and a haircut." That should collect most of your students from a playground with several hundred kids.

2. Point your arms in the direction you want the kids to line up.

You will need to practice this with them.

Line leaders

Most teachers rotate the job. I generally prefer to give it to my most "high maintenance" student who needs to be watched closely.

Walking in line

First graders will not know what "single file" means. The best way to describe it is to say "Pretend you are on a road/path/bridge/ that is only wide enough for one kid."

If you can train your line leader well enough, it's generally better to walk along side the students rather than in front of them. #1 rule with first graders: If they can't see your face, then as far as they are concerned, you do not exist.

A lot of teachers walk backwards at the front of the line. If you ask me, this is worker's comp claim waiting to happen.

But wait. Didn't I say to use your most "high maintenance" student for the job of permanent line leader? Now I expect you to train them? Well, yes I do. What that kid probably needs the most is to be successful at something. Teach them a whistle pattern that means "stop" and "go." Your job is to watch the line. The line leader is like the brakes on your car. I've never had a kid who couldn't handle this job.

4. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 13, 2011

I do number order....each child in my class has a class number. When they line up the line up number order. First person is line leader. Each week whoever was first goes to the end of the line and the next person is the line leader and so on until each child has had a turn to be line leader and we start again.

Ex. Week on line goes 1,2,3,4,5
    week 2- 2,3,4,5,........1
    week 3- 3,4,5,.......1,2
    and so on.

Therefore when I line kids up I'll say numbers 1-6 line up.
    At recess I use clappers.
    Kids know to line up in number order no matter where we are.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I also use the number order. I am a numbers kind of person... it helps me at once see that we're all there and if anyone is missing...
    Sometimes I say something like, "Even numbers line up" (or odd). Sometimes we line up by skip counting starting from a different number each time.
    Sometimes I say, "If you're number is more than 8, then you may line up." or something like that.

6. HeavenIsLoud

HeavenIsLoud Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

I keep the same line leader for an entire month or sometimes longer. Depending of what we were doing in the class I line the class up by tables, gender, or something like "everyone with black shoes". I teach my students to line up quietly and safely. They know that I will make them all sit back down if they don't. You have to be strict about this in the beginning.
    I always walk in the back of the line so that I can see everyone. My line leader knows to stop at all double doors and corners. I meet them there and then let the class pass me. Then I continue at the end. I've seen teachers who walk at the front of the line and have no clue about what is going on behind their backs.
    I've tried lining students up by number, but I prefer to line the up in no particular order.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

I have weekly line leader and caboose...yes, even in grade 3 they like those jobs!
    I call in a variety of ways to have kids line up...table number, class number, etc
    Sometimes I use the following rhyme to remind of hallway expectations:

When our hands are at our sides
    And we're lined up straight and tall
    Mouths are closed, eyes look ahead
    Then we're ready for the hall.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2011

I also have student numbers, and jobs (including line leader & caboose) that rotate weekly.

I use a whistle at recess, then count backwards from 10, and students should be lined up in number order by the time I get to 1 (we have a small playground). I can't use the whistle any other time, because it would disturb other classes.

I teach my kiddos to "slip and zip." Basically, they slip their hands in their pockets (to keep them to themselves) and "zip" their mouths when we are in line. If a girl doesn't have pockets, she can "flip" her arms by crossing them in front of herself. We never look backward when we are walking, we always look forward. We have yellow lines painted on all of the breezeways at my school, so we teach them to stay on the line. I also tell them that they shouldn't see anyone except the person in front of them (except the line leader, lol).

We do lots and lots of modeling and practicing. If at any time during the year, they don't get it right, that means we need to be retaught and need to practice until it is right.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

I have them line up alphabetically by first name usually. The leader stays leader for a week and then the same rotation as stated earlier.

I also do a lot of practice with line expectations. I also have them turn around and try again if issues are happening on the way somewhere.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

:yeahthat:

11. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

It may sound funny but I play games when we are in line. First I line them up by tables, what they're wearing or something silly. Then when we are in line I'll say march to drama like perfect soldiers, remember soldiers don't talk or fly to drama like a silent airport, etc. Sometimes I'll play follow the leader. Whenever I do this my line gets compliments. If I'm rushing or I forget and I don't do it the kids are nuts.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

We do numbers...then we say, "I'm giving myself a great big hug. I'm standing strong and tall. I'm looking right ahead of me, I'm ready for the hall." We don't move until they are in line with their hands only touching their own body. If we run or get out of line in the hall, we turn around and go back to class to start over. The first few times we start anywhere, I leave a few minutes early to give us practice time walking in the hallway.