First grade classbook procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

Ist time first grade teacher. My students have little desks and lots of classbooks:science, social studies, religion, etc. Do I keep the books on the shelves and have them get them when needed? If so, what is the procedure to get them? By row, ? Should they at least keep their workbooks at their desks? Help!! :eek:

3. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 22, 2005

Do their desks open at all? If so, I would have the kids put the materials or books that they use most in their desks and then the other materials in cubbies or on shelves. You can also get backpack type things that attach to the kids' chairs if you have desks that don't open. I would call the kids by groups/rows to get the supplies from the shelves. Allowing the whole class to get them at the same time would get too crazy for me!

If they have a lot of pencils, crayons, etc....you could collect those and put them in community bins for everyone to use when needed. That would also clear out some space in those desks.

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 22, 2005

I have my kids keep consumables, a notebook (their journal), binder, TAke Home folder and supplies (pencils, crayons...) in their desks. They are not allowed to keep text books as they may damage them, plus they don't have room. My desks are arranged in tables. I have a table captain at each table (same spot at each table) and that person is responsible for getting the books, and returning them, this way there are only 5 kids up at once. They also collect table papers when we are doing something together (not independent work), and the paper collector collects only from those kids. On the same token, we only pass papers to those kids and they distribute-saves lots of time. I change my kids' seats every month, so they all get to be TC at least once.

5. melissa74

melissa74 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005

I also teach first grade but am very fortunate not to use many textbooks. We do have a math workbook and I pull out the worksheets ahead of time(or ask a parent to do it for me) usually a chapter at a time... then that is one less book the students have... later in the year we take 15 minutes in the morning and the students tear out the pages for me!!

I like BethMI's idea about the table captain... my students ony have a dry-erase board and a crayon box in their desks.. it really helps in keeping their hands out of their desks!

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2005

I tend to keep books /journals folders that are used daily or weekly in the desk...it saves on time during the lessons....having a whole group of little ones get up and get books can take a while!
    Books that we dont use as much or maybe only use for HW i keep on the shelf and pass out as needed.
    Our math books were large this year and did something similar to melissa74, and kept each chapter in a folder as needed.