First grade class shaky start...tips???

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by bakingfunmom, Aug 20, 2018.

1. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Aug 20, 2018

Hi,

This will be my 4th year teaching and my 2nd teaching first grade. Behavior management has never been my strength. I am concerned about my students and the way my year has started. I have an extremely chatty and off task group. It feels like I'm teaching kindergarten. Kids come in noisy and talk during quiet work times. I feel like I'm saying shhh all day long. I've reviewed procedures, have visual charts, have gone over them. I have a ticket system, team points, jobs. I've been rewarding the quiet ones and the ones doing what they need to but it's still not going well. As soon as I try to teach a lesson it all starts and I have many playing around. I move clips, redirect and I find it's still so hard to teach. Carpet time is particularly hard. Any tips would be appreciated on how to tame this group. I've found I have broken some rules. Have been too nice or too mean and have shown my frustration. I feel like I need to be firmer to help. I tend to be nice. There is no in between. Any ideas? Thanks so much!!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 21, 2018

Have you tried Whole Brain Teaching? It works well for my students. Maybe assign seats at the carpet?

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 21, 2018

Model exactly what you expect students to do. Then, invite one student (choose one that usually struggles with the direction) to come model the correct way for the class. Then ask if there are any volunteers to come up and demonstrate the task as well as the first kid. Then slowly work your way through the room until every student has completed the instruction perfectly.

Keep carpet times short & engaging. They are building up their stamina. Praise the students who are listening with a quick “I see Timmy is listening. He’s sitting cross cross, his hands are still and he’s looking at me.”

To build stamina for quiet work time, set a timer for 30 seconds. Tell your class that the timer is set and that for 30 seconds there will be no talking, only work. Once they successfully complete 30 seconds (reset the timer if they don’t), praise them and then make a big deal about how they can do it AGAIN! Rinse, repeat. Gradually increase the time on the timer as you feel they can be successful for longer periods of time.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2018

In the morning, line up everyone outside the door and allow them to enter one at a time, following your rules. Repeat as many times as needed for each child to follow your expectations. If a student talks after entering the room, send them back out to the end of the line. This will take some time, but the rewards should be worth it.
    Good luck...you can do this!

6. Sonia C

Sonia C New Member

Mar 31, 2019

I am also looking for advice for managing behaviors and discipling my classroom. I am looking to become a more effective leader as I am a new teacher and need tips and strategies for this topic. I also want to learn more information about how to have constructive conversations with children. Thank you!