First Grade Calendar

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kbunch24, Jun 10, 2012.

1. kbunch24

kbunch24 Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

I would like to improve my daily calendar for my first graders. Would anyone be willing to share what they do with their daily calendar lessons? I would love a template to follow. Currently, I do the normal calendar, days of the week, months, and tens and ones with the straws. I would like to incorporate money, time, graphing, weather, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jun 11, 2012

I use this ... http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...-Printables-to-Supplement-Your-Daily-Calendar

My first graders were telling time and counting money before I even taught it and it has helped them to really master those skills when it was taught. I think you might find this is what you are looking for. Many of my students are begging to take home their Math Binder, because of all the hard work they put into it!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

We count the days in school, I ask calendar questions, and we might work on a current math skill.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

We do days of the week, months of the year, patterns, counting the days of school, weather (sing a song, then vote), estimation jar (students bring in the jar with a number of items, and we spend the week estimating), money (sing a song about how much it's worth and whose name is on each coin), and time (pass out clocks, they look at the class clock, reciprocate, then tell the time). We don't do all of them from the start. Estimation, time and money we start a month into school.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2012

I have my kids complete this as part of math workshop:
    [​IMG]

along with task cards during our group calendar time
    [​IMG]

It's been a great way to really teach/reinforce the skills and best off the kids love it. They enjoy being the student to pick and read the card and because there are cute laminated cards they think it's a game.

7. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

Graph the weather, each student's favorite ice cream, shape, etc. I would choose a different topic to graph each week.

I have also done patterns, time practice with a Judy clock, and rhymes/chants to build fluency. You could also practice story retelling w/props. I also like to display large coins on the board to practice counting a certain value of money or practice identifying coins. I also like to display a problem of the day that reinforces our current math topic.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2012

We only have a few minutes for calendar time, so I do it all on the smartboard, and the kiddos love it!

9. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jun 16, 2012

jmeacham and kidscount1234 both have some good calendar ideas-calendar book pages. Starfall has an interactive calendar as well.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2012

jmeacham also has downloadable, customizable, free SmartBoard files as well :)

11. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jun 16, 2012

Check out the link below. It may what you're looking for and it's free! There is a Calendar Math Notebook document for the Smartboard for every month. If you're good at using Notebook, you can easily customize the documents to be exactly what you want. My kiddos love calendar time!

http://www.thewrightroom.com/page7.htm