First full week back for an online teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Aug 31, 2010.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 31, 2010

I can't believe my technical end of the school day was 30 minutes ago. I'm still awash in assignments to grade, my phone and email are overflowing with students (I'm not even talking about the ones who haven't logged in yet), and I have to figure out how to fix at least three weeks of curriculum in our system. That last part is like the online equivalent of receiving new textbooks but finding the pages are stuck together, upside down and in another language.

Our school systems crashed badly yesterday. My email program vanished for 24 hours and came back up empty. They're trying to restore our older emails but that may take days. My gradebook allows me to enter whatever score I wish for my students but always assigns the letter grade of F. This has resulted in many frantic phone calls despite a huge explanation on my home page of the issue. Things like this seem to happen at the beginning of every year, though, so the veteran students are very relaxed as we wait out the beginning of the year bugs.

The best part, as always, is the enthusiasm of my students. I'm already emotionally invested in so many of them. Some have children of their own, while others have life-threatening health issues that keep them out of public school. Others have been traumatized by their past school experiences and feel safer in their own homes, barely wanting to answer their phones. All of them are trusting me to help them understand Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Hamlet and more.

I still miss my students from last year. They were my first class all to myself, and they'll be tough to replace. I hope I can live up to the challenge of instructing and inspiring from a distance once more.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 31, 2010

Sounds ineresting catnfiddle. After things settle down things will fall into place. I'm really fascinated with the on-line teaching and have thought about it after I retire.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 31, 2010

You should! Two of the five teacher on my team were brought out of retirement. One takes care of her grandson part of the time, and BOY can he yell when she's on the phone, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 31, 2010

I thought about doing this when I decide to have my own children. It is really interesting to me.

6. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I'm a college student who attended an online high school for my senior year. Your making me miss it :)

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

I love the idea of online teaching. I think the challenge of motivating from afar is very exciting. Good luck with your year!!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

I'm up to 208 students, so I'm more than a little nervous about this school year. How will I be able to provide individual education to so many of them? There are several I've gotten to know already but there are at least 20 that haven't even logged into the school system once. At least one student has never used a computer before and is having an impossible time sending in assignments, but I do my best to talk her through the process every time.

On the extremely bright side, I'm trying to start a Drama Club (using Golden Age radio scripts) and a writer's slam. I'm excited about the prospects. Yes, we CAN have clubs and after-school programs!

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

On line teaching sounds very interesting! I would like to know more but not sure where to start? Is online teaching done by states or is it a company that services various states? Do you get paid the same amount as if you were in a regular classroom?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 5, 2010

The first thing I can suggest I to find out what online charter schools are in your state. There are five in Arizona, mostly ones that are part of a national franchise. I cannot say whether they have elementary schools.

As for the pay question, my salary is lower than a local public school but my personal expense tend to compensate for that. I don't need a school wardrobe or much gas money because I work from home. Decorating my classroom is a matter of HTML programming. I can also sleep in until a few minutes before my school hours start. There are pluses and minuses to every different kind of classroom.