First few weeks of school focusing on good character

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2011

Besides covering procedures the first two weeks of school, I want to do some activities about "good character" and good values. Values.com has some wonderful printable posters, and I am excited about hanging some of them in my classroom.

I want to do this without sounding preachy, though. I hope to do something that encourages them and makes them think. I want to reinforce different situations where it is good to demonstrate great character and do some hands-on activities. What are your ideas?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

I used some lessons from learntobehealthy.org last school year.

We realized that the kids had never really done any character ed, and they didn't know how to treat each other respectfully. It's definitely something we need to make sure we're teaching.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 17, 2011

I would encourage you to use picture books to help teach the values you're looking to promote. I use a website (http://booksthathealkids.blogspot.com/) when I'm looking for specific topics. The author of the blog has ALL the topics on the side and you just click on what you're looking for and voila - books about that topic! :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2011

Awesome website, halpey! I tend to use picture books a lot, even with my grade 7 and 8 students. Character ed is a year-round focus in my school board; each month we focus on one of 10 traits, and recognize students in our classes who exemplify the traits. At graduation, our grade 8s all receive a certificate honouring the character trait that most represents them.

One of the teachers I work with has a chart up in her room; when students demonstrate a trait, the teacher or a peer can give them a sticker while explaining the action, "Alex showed courage when he read his poem in front of the class." "Lauren demonstrated honesty when she came to me to explain why her assignment is going to be late."

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

OMG!!! Thanks for the link to the blog!! This is exactly what I needed! I just bought the book "The Bully Free Classroom" and I was interested in stories that could correlate with the work I'm going to do with the book! I guess I'm into "bibliotherapy" too! :) Thanks a bunch! I just forwarded the link to the blog to my coworkers!

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

Last year I read "Have you filled a bucket today?" and each student created a bucket (bucket template that was attached to a little envelope) that was displayed on a bulletin board. Students would then fill out little slips of paper that explained how they were responsible/respectful/trustworthy/caring/citizenship/fairness and "filled" their bucket with them. At the end of each week, I gave the slips to everyone and they were able to read all of the wonderful things that people said.

I also have a small duck (any animal/object will do) that is passed to a classmate at the end of the day for showing the character trait of the month. For example, the person with the duck might stand up and say, "I choose Daniel for responsibility because he always raises his hand when he has something to say to the class and never shouts out." Then Daniel would get the duck and the following day, he'd look for someone else to pass it off to.

These are year long ideas but they at least keep character education a focus for students.