First few minutes

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsHoot, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I am planning on greeting every student as they walk in. I am trying to figure out what I would like to have them do right when they come in to school. My teammate is going to have kids walk around the classroom and draw a map of what they see. I may do that, but does anyone else have something specific they do?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Are you talking about on the first day?

You may want to think about this... 1st graders might have trouble drawing a map. We (in my district) actually have a unit on maps later in the year where they will learn to draw symbols instead of the actual items (and other map details). They may get overwhelmed trying to draw a library or a chair or something. They might start asking you for help or get the impression that 1st grade is way too hard.

4. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Yes for the first day. I thought they might have trouble too. I'm not too keen on the idea, but I haven't thought of anything super fantastic to do in it's place! =) I was thinking of maybe having some discovery/exploration centers out for students to choose to do. I haven't really decided what I would put out, but that may be a better option.

5. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

I have been thinking about this a lot. I am a new teacher, and I really want to stand and greet all of my students too. And I know I'll have parents come down as well, so I'll have to speak with them also. What do the kids who've already come in do? I assumed I would have a bucket of books in the middle of their desk groups. I also thought about having a name tag or something for them to color. Surely they can all color and trace their name, so that would be a successful first activity. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about the topic!!

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I have a little booklet I make on their desk waiting for them. Inside are very basic activity sheets like counting, color words, etc. This allows me to greet parents and get the children situated.

On a sidenote, I do not let my students unpack until everyone has arrived and I'm ready to teach that procedure. I just have them place their backpacks on their chairs until then.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

I think having books in a bucket is great. I also have coloring sheets on their table. I might just have a little packet like Ms. Yi. I am also not letting them unpack until I teach that procedure.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

I agree with Lynnn725. I have always put a few books out to read and coloring sheets for the to work on. I have the color in a bus lunch bag puppet and a school lunch bag puppet. I have a few boxes of crayons out for the to use. I just ask that they put their name on their sheets and color.

The lunch bag puppets came from Carson-Dellosa books.

Good luck!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

SOOOO not a first grade teacher, but the mom of an upcoming 2nd grader.

How about something they can do together-- Legos or a jigsaw puzzle or coloring a mural or something?

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

I kinda like the map idea, but maybe you could get big pieces of butcher paper and have them create maps in groups of 3 or 4? Then they can help each other out.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

I'm giving my kids a writing assignment right of the bat-I'm a mean old ogre-what can I say? ;) So they find their seat and sit down and get started-the prompt or question will be on the board (haven't decided yet what I'm going to ask). I also know my kids already and know they can do that, so it makes it a little bit easier. I'm hoping it sets the tone for the day-shake off those cobwebs-we're getting back to work!

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Thanks for all of the ideas! I think I'm going to nix the map thing for now... I guess I was worried about doing anything that required reading directions, because I know they will all be at different levels. Maybe I can make an all about me packet that has a few coloring and counting activities that they could start to work on as they come in. Otherwise, I will set out some blocks, etc so that they can work together on something.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

I had my kids draw a self portrait to help remember their first day as a first grader. They loved it and many of them worked and worked on them! We then shared them during our first circle time and it helped everyone get to know each other a little better. I also had out books and puzzles for my early finishers.

14. blissgal

blissgal New Member

Aug 10, 2010

Im returning back to the classroom after a v-e-r-y long break. I used to have them do a detailed self-portrait. Later, we use this for writing when they add on what they want to be when they grow up and why. I keep these and give them out just before they graduate from high school. It's amazing how many of the students have started out in college on the same path they predicted in first grade.

15. pinktulip

pinktulip Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

I have always had a few coloring sheets (or just some sort of worksheet) on their desks or tables. I like the idea of having a little booklet. You could even do blank paper and have them draw pictures. Also, I always have basket of books in the center of each table. You definitely want more than one thing for them to do after they sit down & get settled. In my experience, it takes a good 15-20 minutes for all the parents to leave and then you can really get started! :)

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Great ideas! I love the self portrait, I think I am going to do that. And then I'll set out some coloring pages and books at each table for if they finish early,etc. I think I will still do an about me booklet, but later in the day or for the second day's morning work. =)

It's funny, because I didn't even think about parents coming into the room. I just never had that last year, of course it was fifth grade. =) But I suppose there will be a few parents around!

17. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Parents that linger a little too long and kids that don't want to leave their parents (I always have at least one crying).

And then maybe some a kid who just enrolled.

18. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I plan on just having a back-to-school related coloring page for them to work on the first day or maybe even the first couple days...I don't wanna overwhelm them.

19. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I agree that standing at the door and greeting the students is important.
    I also have a coloring activity for them to do. They color their cubby(mailbox) label.
    What to do with the parents hanging on? When the bell rings I tell the class to wave goodbye to the parents, and tell the parents that we'll see them at___(dismissal time). Everybody waves bye, parents leave, and we gather in a circle on the floor for morning meeting. The child who is crying gets the kleenex box,and a kind reminder that their parent will be back at(time). Once we get going, they stop crying...at least they have for me.

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Get to Know Each Other

Start everyone off from the first few minutes getting to know each other. Hand out a class scavenger hunt, like this or make your own with fewer words for young kids.

Have them find someone who shares their favorite color, hair color, favorite book, number of siblings, shirt color, etc. Later they can introduce someone, like this: "I'm John. This is Tony and we both have one brother!"

Hope this helps!

21. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 13, 2010

My kids are getting a writing sample. I give them a paragraph, and they copy it in their best printing. Mine says, 'Today is August 23, 2010. It is the first day of school. I am in first grade. This is my best printing. Can you read it easily?" When students are done, they get to complete a word find with the names of students in the class (www.puzzlemaker.com). While they are completing this, I can greet students and sort out desks that are too small/large for individuals. I also have smooth jazz music playing as students enter. Like most of the above teachers, I also don't let students unpack until I can teach them the morning procedure.