First few minutes of the first day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Aug 14, 2016.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2016

Okay, another question...

How do you personally start the first few minutes of the first day? Do you let students find their own seats (by looking at names on desks), or tell them where they'll sit? What's your plan for supplies in backpacks? Do you do a welcome activity right away, or let them get settled first?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 14, 2016

Commenting to subscribe because I'm trying to figure this out as well (though it may be a bit late since school starts tomorrow!). Currently I have names on desks but not taped down; I was going to have kids find their seats, set backpacks by the cubbies to collect supplies later since I don't have a cubby for everyone, and then they can eat breakfast and we'll do a morning meeting once they're done and school has officially started.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2016

Hope it goes well! The first day of school is so exciting!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 14, 2016

I have them find their seats, and take all their belongings to their seat. there is a morning work worksheet on their desk that they will begin working on. When finished, we sort supplies and I tell them where to put their backpacks, water bottles or lunchboxes.

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 14, 2016

Do you do academic morning work, or is it a first day of school about me type of thing?

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 14, 2016

It was academic based (review of skills from 1st grade). When I was in Kinder, it was a coloring sheet.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 14, 2016

They go to the carpet (our whole group meeting area) when we come into the room. Attendance, introductions, etc, and then move into an activity.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2016

They find their own seats (they'll see them at Meet & Greet the week before, so unless I find something out, it'll be at the same spot).

I don't worry too much about backpacks, except that they put it in the general location where we store them (it's rather obvious when you're in a small portable and there's only one spot with hooks :p ). The supplies are usually already delivered and meet & greet, but any extras I just have them place on the back table and I sort them out .

At that point, there's a quick welcome activity at their desks (last year: word search with each of their names in it), and right after the bell / announcements / salute, we'll get going right away with introductions and such. Needless to say, the first 15-20 minutes is full of humor - they truly see who they're about to spend the year with right away. In addition, we focus on some of the key posters/things in the room - namely things that are talking about struggle leading to progress and mistakes being a great thing, and to always believe in one's self.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 15, 2016

I have a little fun morning work at their seats, but it is secondary to greeting, exploring the classroom, etc.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

I stand at the door and greet each one. Then they go in and they find their seats, they DON'T unpack right away and I give them a classmate names word search that I've made using puzzlemaker.com. Buys me a little time to shoo parents away from the door, take attendance ;)

12. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Aug 15, 2016

I have them color a first day of school picture. It gives me time to get everyone settled and talk to parents.

13. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Aug 15, 2016

I have them find their name at the cubby first. I like to do this while parents are watching. I want them to see if their child can recognize their nae in print. Some are surprised when they see that their child can't. When parents leave we begin the business of learning routines and classroom procedures.

14. Teach with hope.

Teach with hope. Rookie

Aug 15, 2016

I always have a table tent name tag as their first name tag. It makes it so much easier to spot their name if they're not flat on their desks. When they come in I welcome them and have them find their seat and keep their backpack at their seat for now. I also have something at their desk ready to go that they can do completely independently while I am greeting kids and families. Once everyone has arrived and we're settled in we use unpacking our backpack and supplies and hanging up our things as an opportunity to practice routines and following directions. Good luck!!

15. Perfect Attendance

Perfect Attendance Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

Hopefully attendance is being recorded :)