First Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LMath85, Jul 25, 2007.

1. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Hi all -

This is my first time posting here though I've visited this site often over the past year. I got a call today to do a Demo lesson in a High School Math A summer school class and I just have a few questions.

First off, the AP for Math did not know the topic that the summer school class was up too. She told me to come in at 9am & the class begins at 9:37am. Summer school classes run for an hour & a half...will I be teaching for an hour & a half? I have only ever taught for 45minutes - so I'm nervous about possibly preparing for a lesson with no preparation whatsoever.

Second, she didn't mention anything about sitting down for an interview. Should I expect to sit with her after my lesson (I assume I will).

Anything else I should expect??

:unsure: Thanks for your help!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

Hi and welcome!!

Well, if it's a summer school class, then in theory anything in the syllabus should be fair game; they've seen everything during the year. And I don't think you should stress about the length of the lesson, since the regular teacher will be on the premises. He or she could always pick up where you leave off.

Do you have a Regents Review book? If not, hit the bookstore in the morning and pick up a Barrons book. I'm pretty sure that any math A class in NY is doing constant regents review, so you'll want to incorporate some of those questions for the good of the kids in front of you.

I haven't taught math A in years, so check that none of what I'm about to mention is covered in the B course, OK?

You could do a lesson on coordinate geometry. Start with the coordinate axes, then go on to slope, distance and midpoint. (During the school year, these would be 3 distinct lessons.) On slope, be sure to emphasize that the y's go on top. Also, that each ordered pair has an x and a y-- one of each. x sub 1 means the first x, as opposed to x sub 2, the second x. You could go on to the equation of a line, using both slope intercept and point slope form. (For me, this would be more than enough for the class. But I'm guessing you'll be nervous and go through it quickly.) Anyway, there's enough coordinate geometry to keep them busy. But beware: they might not have graph paper with them. That's not a big deal, but don't be surprised. Ooops-- another thing: make SURE to emphasize that they need to label both axes and set up a scale... the Regents exams require both.

Or go from factoring (GCF, difference of squares, trinomials) to quadratics to verbals that use quadratics. As obvious as this sounds: for Diff of Squares, emphasize what a DIFFERENCE is, and go through the first 12 or 13 perfect squares.

This late, that's all I have. Let me know if I can be of more help.

(PS: I'm a math teacher on LI; where are you?)

4. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Hi - thank you for responding. I didn't realize til after that there was a 'job seekers' folder.

Anyway, the thing I'm unsure about is that she didn't tell me to come in with my own lesson. All she said was "Come in at 9. The class starts at 9:37. I don't know what topic they are up too" Should I come prepared with a lesson anyway? or should I call the school to double check?

I have a few lessons in mind - factoring is my favorite topic. That graphing would definitely fill up the hour & a half lesson for me. I taught Math A while I was student Teaching.

Thank you for your help!

Btw - I'm in Queens. I applied for a few jobs in Long Island but I'm not expecting them to call back as I know its very hard to get one!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

Have you checked here? https://www.pnwboces.org/teacherapplicationSSL/Jobs.aspx?cert=math&regionSearch=06

Math jobs on LI are easier than most others. Send your cover letter and resume everywhere; you may be surprised at the calls you get.

And I think I would call. If you can't get an answer, go in with a lesson prepared, just in case.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Gotta run. I'm teaching an SAT prep class and have to leave in a while. I'll check back later ;)

6. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Hi.

I called the school today - she told me that they would give me the topic when I got there tomorrow & that I would write it before class.

Again, thank you for your help. I'll let you know how it goes!

7. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

The demo lesson went well. It was an easy topic. They were very impressed & later that day told me that I got the job! She had basically offered me the job while I was still @ the school, but they had to be fair since she was seeing another demo lesson

I'm so excited to start my first teaching job!!! :)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2007

Hooray! Congratulations!

9. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 28, 2007

what lesson did you do?

10. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Wow, that's scary having only 30 min to prepare a lesson. Congrats on the job!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Congratulations!!!

We want more details!! Do you know what you'll be teaching?

12. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Hey all - thank you =)

I was nervous driving to the school cause I had no idea what I would be teaching. I met with the Math AP & she said "Okay. Today you will be teaching ....Graphing a line using a table to find the coordinates." All my nerves left the second she said it because I had taught the lesson when I was student teaching. I had about 30-40 minutes to prepare the lesson but I was done with in 20. They had also given me a copy of the teachers lesson for the day, but I didn't need it. Went into the classroom & the next thing I knew time was up. The kids were great...not many participants but it was good enough. She then brought me downstairs & we discussed the lesson. It was very relaxed. Later that day she told me I just had to come in Monday to pick up a recommendation letter.

She isn't sure what I'll be teaching yet (Most likely Math A since I student taught that...but possibly Math B as well). It is all very exciting & I kinda wish it was September already ... though eveyone tells me I won't be wishing that in September!!! haha

Okay. Well THANKS AGAIN! :up:

13. math guy

math guy Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

wow. Great job. I'm glad it went well. The funny thing about doing demos is that you walk into such unknown territory (kids ability level, topics covered etc...) that it's hard to do a lesson plan...nontheless, i 've never had to do an impromptu one! glad it worked out for you.